The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to aquariums and planted tanks. I inherited a few small tanks and equipment when my mother passed from cancer. I'm wanting to get a nice one going kind of as a tribute to her.

I'll post some pictures of what I have going now, and what a possible future upgrade is.

What lighting would be bright enough for good plant growth on my current 20h? I want to over do it on brightness in case I upgrade to the future tank. I'll raise the light for now if needed, or add screens and top plants.

Currently I have a dual t5no with a 6700k and a colormax bulb. My old t8 floramax is on it also. Will this get the plants growing? The dual t5 is within the return period so I can swap it for something else if needed.

Would these suggestions work for the current tank and the future 55 gallon corner tank?

24" planted plus
24" Ray 2
24" Dual or quad t5ho
Any other suggestions?

My current tank

Possible upgrade I'm thinking about buying.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Before you can decide what light fixtures to use you need to first decide if you want the light to sit on top of the tank, or be suspended above the tank, and if so, at what height above the tank. The major advantage of suspending the light above the tank is to reduce the big difference between the brightness of the light near the water surface compared to near the substrate. That lets you use more light at the substrate without having very high light near the water surface, so it reduces algae problems.

Other advantages of suspending the light above the tank are the more uniform lighting from front to back and end to end that you get, and the ease of doing in-tank maintenance - you don't need to remove the light, and you have good light for doing maintenance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't thought about suspended lighting much. That is helpful to learn about the higher light on the tall plants. I'm leaning more toward on tank, just for the ease of installation.

It will be in my main living area, so it's required by my wife to be "aesthetically pleasing". She won't like any hanging wires or cords. I'm worried making it look good will run up the cost.

Your right though, I bet suspended would work much better on a corner tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.