The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey nano owners! I decided to start a small planted tank and went with a 1g for my CT Betta. The setup came with a 7w fluorescent bulb and a mini power filter. The filter is very good, it looks exactly like my Whisper in my 10g, yet it is, well, mini:icon_smil . Here's the tank with just water:

I then added Shulz's Aquatic Soil from my 10g that has been set up since October of 2005. I added a small stone, Bacopa, Green Foxtail, Sunset Hygro, and Wisteria, all from the 10g. All this bacteria should prevent a cycle from happening, which is what I planned for. Here is a picture of the set up:

I added the CT Betta after acclimating him for 30 minutes. Here's a shot of him:

I hope for this to become a successful planted tank. BTW, what would you recommend for a foreground? I was thinking Microsword, or possibly Riccia. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for updates!

Smalltank:biggrin:

·
Registered
514 Posts
i have the same tank, i like it alot but the light is really high up and you will have alot of light spillage. what i did was i cut it and then melt them together again, it looks much better because it more concentrated. i also found out that triming it is a PITA, so i choose to go with slower and smaller growing plants. Have Fun!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot of people said I wouldn't need to cycle the tank because of all the bacteria I'm putting in it from my 10g. It is a 1g tank. The substrate is Shulz's Aquatic Soil from the 10g. All the plants are from the 10g, and same with the rock. I will be testing for ammonia and nitrite daily.

Smalltank

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
HC is a food foreground for that tank, along with ET, glosso, and MAYBE hairgrass, but in a pico it's pretty big. i would either lower the light-alot, or get a better one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, RESGuy.
For a foreground I've decided to get Glosso. I think it will look good with all the other plants in there. Anyway, I added more clippings from the 10g. The new additions are Java Fern and Watersprite. I took out the Sunset Hygro and put it in the 10g, then put a small stem in the 1g of it. It is planted in the foreground as of now. When it gets bigger, I will put it in the back. Of course, here are the pictures:)
What I feed my Betta(1 type for 1 day to have a variety:))

Full Tank:

Left:

Middle:

Right: (Sorry about the betta, there are 2 Bacopa stems and wisteria.)

I will not add any more plants atm. I will just let these fill in. Once my LFS gets glosso, I'll be on my way there!

Smalltank

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Beautiful Betta...
I agree you shouldn't need to cycle this planted pico for a Betta.
He should be happy in there :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love your tank. Beautiful and for me - extremely motivational.

I LOVE a beautiful Nano (or Pico).

From what I understand, once you put a plant in any tank -
the roots have SO MANY beneficial bacteria (on the roots ALONE) - the tank is automatically completely cycled.

If anyone can confirm or clarify that, I would appreciate it.

But that is what I have read.

Great tank and great photos!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
From what I understand, once you put a plant in any tank -
the roots have SO MANY beneficial bacteria (on the roots ALONE) - the tank is automatically completely cycled.
Not true. You can't just toss plants in a tank and call it cycled.....because it hasn't cycled. Sure it certainly helps. I had a ton of plants in my 40g and it still went through a cycle like it should but the cycle was much shorter and not as *looks for the right word* "strong" as normal. On really small tanks this is fine but larger ones, it isn't. You still *should* cycle it.

You have a nice pico going on. Just make sure to keep up with water changes as once something goes wrong, it will go wrong fast in a 1g tank.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
you know, after looking closer, that tank almost looks more like a 2-2.5 gallon.
anyway. i wouldn't be concerned with bettas jumping, never seen that before actually.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only Betta I had that was stupid enough to jump was the one in a 10 Gallon tank where the ENTIRE TOP was covered by a glass lid except for a small 1/2 inch by maybe 3 inch spot by the Hang On Back Filter.

I found it across the room 10 days later dried up like a plastic toy. Someone told me that was called 'Potato Chip' syndrome.

In all my other tanks with Bettas, they are the only fish in the tank and seem quite calm.

Maybe this happens sometimes when they have other fish in the tank to 'interact' with. Or maybe that one was just stupid.

So what has been your experience with Bettas jumping?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jumping Fish

Bettas are jumpers. Many many people have had bettas jump out and go crispy. Jumping is an adaptation in their native habitat.

The long finned bettas -- veiltails, halfmoons, deltas, and the like -- aren't as good at it as those with shorter, less heavy fins -- crowntails, plakats and so on. But all of them have been known to end their lives dried up on the carpet.

I really suggest you get a top for that aquarium. Even plastic canvas (needlepoint canvas from the craft store).

Question: My betta tried to jump out of his bowl! Is this common?
Bettas Do Jump!
Bettas are known to be jumpers, some are known to jump more than others.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I get attached to my creatures, but to me; a stupid fish is a stupid fish. (Unless you pay a lot of money for it).

No offense meant.

In the meantime, I am still missing my Blue Betta at my Office that died of old age.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not true. You can't just toss plants in a tank and call it cycled.....because it hasn't cycled. Sure it certainly helps. I had a ton of plants in my 40g and it still went through a cycle like it should but the cycle was much shorter and not as *looks for the right word* "strong" as normal. On really small tanks this is fine but larger ones, it isn't. You still *should* cycle it.
Burks, you will really enjoy the Editorial from the April 2007 issue of the Tropical Fish Hobbyist. Makes for a very interesting read regarding cycling. (Great magazine too!)

Hey, which forum here would be appropriate for me to find information on Brackish Aquariums?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Burks, you will really enjoy the Editorial from the April 2007 issue of the Tropical Fish Hobbyist. Makes for a very interesting read regarding cycling. (Great magazine too!)

Hey, which forum here would be appropriate for me to find information on Brackish Aquariums?
I have heard of TFH Magazine and it sounds really good so I may buy a year subscription to it :) I just went on the website to get one free issue and should get it in 2-3 weeks, if I like it I am buying a full-year :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts