The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are referring to the plants in front, they are crypts. C.undulata 'Red'. Not exactly a perfect choice. :icon_frow But hopefully in a low-tech tank, they remain small and dainty. Might consider changing it to C.pygmaea if this bunch grows overly big for the scape..

Also at the left corner is two pots of Vallisneria nanas or V.natans depending on how you define them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you start getting problems then it wouldn't hurt to dose Excel. But I think 18w is low enough for a 12inch cube. I have an 8inch cube with 18w and it needs CO2/Excel to do well.
In that case will dose Excel once a week together with other fertilisation that I intend to do.

Beautiful tank. What type of filtration are you running?

Thanks!
Thanks. I am currently running a mini canister filter known as Eden 501. Not sure if the same product is available in the US.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I bet its a product we call Zoomed 501. Same 501 so I bet it might be the same.

And once a week won't work with Excel. You need an initial dose and you can dose every other day. It gives instructions on the label.

Keep us updated! I'm curious as to how this tank will turn out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Absolutely beautiful cube you have there! I am very curious to see how it looks when it grows out. What kind of wood is that and where did you get it from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the compliment guys.
The initial planting of MU did not work out. Massive meltdown. Subsequently switched to MM which are supposed to be better. Again, some of them started to melt at the bottom and slowly upwards. All other plants are thriving in the tank without CO2.

Decided to trim again the melting ones and increase the foothold of the Rotala green.

Here's an update of how the tank looks now. Doesn't look much of a difference really. Since it is non-CO2, the growth is pretty much slower than my other CO2 tank. But I did dose some Excel every 2-3 days and KNO3, KH2PO4, ADA Green Gain and ECA. Not alot, just a pinch and a couple of drops twice a week so far.

Sorry for the messy background.

Here are the current occupants.

Taenicara candidi "Santarem" - male

Taenicara candidi "Santarem" - female

Axelrodia riesei (Ruby tetra)

Otocinclus affinis

Absolutely beautiful cube you have there! I am very curious to see how it looks when it grows out. What kind of wood is that and where did you get it from?
The wood is supposed to be ADA wood sold by the ADA distributor in Singapore. Not sure if they are available from ADG in the States.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.