The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 20 gallon metaframe from someone on craigslist. Looks like a 1960s model, with a stow-a-light hood. Needs some cleaning and polishing up, but the person I got it from said they resealed it - testing it for leaks now and not seeing anything yet!

Also came with two 15 watt bulbs, but the sticker in the hood says up to 25watt. & what looks like an original thermometer to me?

Thinking of making this into a shrimp tank with some scarlet badis - but open to ideas for substrates & stocking!

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Hi jostas,

BTW, that is the classic Metaframe thermometer as well! I would guess mid to late '60's, especially since the tank has the slate bottom; glass bottom versions started somewhere in the 70's.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi jostas,

BTW, that is the classic Metaframe thermometer as well! I would guess mid to late '60's, especially since the tank has the slate bottom; glass bottom versions started somewhere in the 70's.
Thanks for the info! I thought it must be the original thermometer, which is a cool find. I was guessing mid-sixties since it has the slate, but the hood is chrome with some plastic.

Going to pick up some substrate and test the lights this weekend, but leaning towards replacing them. I wonder how hot they'd make the hood? If they are still functional anyway. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.