The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am starting to look at my stocking list for my new 190g (60" across, 24" deep, 30" high)

I am thinking 10 albino congo tetras, 50 raspbora espei, some cories and some red cherry shrimp.

Would this work out? Would the congos eat the rcs? or any plants?

Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You are nowhere near fully stocked according to aqadvisor, you should get Geophagus red head tapajos, they are beautiful fish and you have a good sized tank for them. As for the shrimp, the congos may eat them, there is a decent chance of it.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
That sounds like a very cool tank, but yes, the shrimp will get eaten. Microrasboras are about the only fish that won't eat shrimp, and even some of those are a danger. You could try amano, bamboo, or viper shrimp instead.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My congos adore mini pennywort and now it is gone. They've been known to nibble Stauro and Bolbitis in my tank and other people report they will nibble other plant species.

When Amano shrimp went in the tank one was eaten but after 18 months I fished out 8 out of 12 shrimp so Amano shrimp can survive if they have enough cover. Cherry shrimp are much smaller than Amanos.

I'd go 20-30 Congo tetras and at least 20 Corydoras. I'd include some livebearers for algae harassment and bristlenose or other small algae eating pleco.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Do you guys think adult Congos would eat small fish such as the rasboras? (Espei are skinnier bodied than Heteromorpha/Harlequins, similar in size to adult neon tetras)

How do they do aggression wise, amongst themselves and towards other fish?

I've heard some say they are peaceful and some say they fight often and some even have their congos harass other fish species. Just would like to hear more experiences.

No doubt the shrimp would be eaten, even the adult shrimp. And yep, many people have said their congos munch on soft leafed plants, even on Anubias.
From what I've seen, congos fight a bit more than I prefer (but there are many variables that might of caused that aggression).

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have platies and black neons with my congos. Platy babies grow up in the tank just fine which I find amazing since I've seen them swim into bigger fishes' mouths. I've never seen any stalking or chasing of other fish, just the hunting down of that new Amano shrimp the day the shrimp went into the tank. I see a little shoving between the congos and did see one split fin one time but that has been about it. Even spawning is fairly mild, I only know it is going on because the tetras and platies are going nuts below the spawning fish.

This is a 180 gallon tank and the fish have lots of cover. Maybe in a smaller tank or one without line of sight breaks things are worse.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Marbled hatchet fish might be an interesting substitute for congo tetras, more tolerant to shrimp, and less risk of them getting devoured. Rasboras are also risky, but a small group might work with lots of cover. Get your shrimp population to grow first, than add the rest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok...so I will not be going with the congo tetras as I do want various plants and shrimp. I want some larger beautiful fish as I feel that the espeis will get easily looked over in the tank due to size...guess I will have to research some other larger non-plant eating fish (I don't want discus as they are too much work)...if I have to let the shrimp go so be it, but I do want lots of plants LOL

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My Congos only destroyed the one species of plant, the others are tasted and left alone. Other fish I considered were rainbows which also like some plant material, roseline barbs unsure, Hemiodus or
Giant danio. Angelfish enjoy a bit of salad, most barbs and cichlids do as well. Even black neons like to play with cucumber seeds, don't think they eat them though. I make a point of using fish food that has some sort of veggie or algae hoping that helps.

What about downsizing the one species? Have that big school of rasboras then another school of a somewhat larger fish? Bleeding heart tetra, Columbian tetra maybe? That size, I don't think I would care to have an orangeish rasbora with a pinkish tetra. Been a while but I dont' remember those two doing a lot of grazing.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Mine have always been good citizens around fish and just that one shrimp was attacked. Am sorry they ate the pennywort but haven't damaged any other species of plants. For me they were a very good choice. I didn't want all the drama from angelfish anymore and didn't want a bazillion tiny fish either.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Ok...so I will not be going with the congo tetras as I do want various plants and shrimp. I want some larger beautiful fish as I feel that the espeis will get easily looked over in the tank due to size...guess I will have to research some other larger non-plant eating fish (I don't want discus as they are too much work)...if I have to let the shrimp go so be it, but I do want lots of plants LOL
I think that geophagus dont eat plants, however they sift alot of sand, so mainly plants on driftwood if you get those. Maybe some clown loaches?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input guys!! It seems really hit or miss as to whether or not congos will always eat plants. I am still so torn, so I think I will just go for the congos and hope I have enough plants in the tank someday that I will not notice any munching. Perhaps I should stock the tank with plants first, grow them out and then add the congos?

Do congos always get such beautiful long fins when they get larger?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.