The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I am planning on adding some fish to my planted low tech 18 g and I really want to try these fish together and wanted to know If any one had first hand experience with these fish. Also if this size tank is fine for kind of fish i will be putting in. I have an aquaclear 50 on the tank and also be getting raid of the endlers i have in the tank right now.

Apisto pair or just a male
(Apistogramma hongsloi form 2 or Apistogramma viejita red neck or Apistogramma macmasteri redneck)
~4 killifish
~4 peacock gobies
10~15 cardinal tetras or galaxy rasboras
~4 hillstream loaches
~4 albino corys

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
First, what kind of killifish?
Second, you either need one or five peacock gobies.
Third, get at least six cories.
Fourth, hillstream loaches need very high flow and rather cool water. I'd suggest you keep them out unless there's a high flow patch.
Fifth, galaxy rasboras are now normally called celestial pearl danios. I'd be careful with them and the apisto... They might end up as food. They're real tiny.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Killifish Fp. Albino Gardneri
why would it need to be 1 or 5? i might get 6 if thats the case i see some one selling a 6 pack on aquabid.
I would like to get more cories but just worried about over stocking but i do have an aquaclear 50 with decent water water flow.
Yes i know both names for these fish and I have seen videos of people with apisto's and CPD's but I most likely go with cardinal tetras instead.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Peacock gobies can be a bit fussy with eachother. Groups work best...
I think you'd be okay with 6 cories instead. You could try a smaller species if you were worried about overstocking... Any of the Julii lookalikes, perhaps.
I have to disagree here on the peacock gudgeon.....I've had 1, 2, 4, even 6 and never had any issues and spawnings quite often. As long as you have adequate hiding (they like caves or pvc piping) they will be fine. Your tank isn't very large so I wouldn't do more than 2 personally. I keep black pvc pushed into my substrate for underground caves which they love.

I keep mine with apisto cacs and bolivia rams and cories without issue.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Agree with above...assuming a peacock goby is actually a peacock gudgeon, I have never heard of any problems with this fish being kept in pairs or small groups.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Don't add the killifish to that mix. They will kill and eat everything if the apistos don't kill them first.
I've got peacocks and killies (A. australe, and F. amieti) in the same tank and they are ok. F. amieti get pretty big in terms of killies too. If you want killies you can't have shrimp or dwarf clawed frogs, I learned that the hard way.

Don't believe everything you hear about killies, all and all most are fine citizens in a community set up.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
But I would revise your stocking list seems pretty heavy. I like the tank tough!
Agreed, stocking is a bit high, but I think you'll be good with most of your choices.

My apistos don't bother anyone else in the tank either so I would really worry about them. Every fish is different though so just keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've had Gardneri a couple of different times, and they are cool fish. They aren't overly aggressive, but they will eat anything that can fit in their very large mouths given the opportunity. I would say CPD's would definitely be at risk for getting eaten, and even cardinals could be depending on what size you have. Also, make SURE you have every tiny little hole covered, even the small spaces around where your filter sits on the back of the tank. These guys are jumpers and if there is even the tiniest of holes, they WILL find their way out.

I would nix the hillstreams. They're cool fish but somewhat finicky on water conditions (cool water, fast flow, and I think somewhat acidic) and not really a good mix for the other fish you're wanting. Plus, that list looks to be overstocking a little and eliminating them would help that out.

Albino cories can get HUGE (at least for cories)! Never believed it until I saw one at my lfs that was every last bit of 3.5". Especially since it appears you have a fairly small footprint on that tank (taller vs. longer), albinos would not be a good choice, especially in an adequate sized school. As someone mentioned, juliis should be ok. The various dwarf/pygmy varieties are cool, and the ones I have are large enough not to be killi snacks - but it's something to keep in mind if you go with one of the dwarfs.

I haven't kept apistos, but between the gudgeons, the apistos, and the cories, you've got a lot going on in the bottom of the tank. I'd personally leave the apistos out - especially if you're set on a pair as they'll get very aggressive when spawning.

If it was me, I'd go with the 4 killies, 10 cardinals (making sure they're decent sized ones), 2-4 peacock gudgeons, and 6 cories depending on the size of the particular variety you get. That'll still be pretty heavily stocked, and will distribute your livestock through the tank (top to bottom) to get the best use out of the smallish footprint.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to disagree here on the peacock gudgeon.....I've had 1, 2, 4, even 6 and never had any issues and spawnings quite often. As long as you have adequate hiding (they like caves or pvc piping) they will be fine. Your tank isn't very large so I wouldn't do more than 2 personally. I keep black pvc pushed into my substrate for underground caves which they love.

I keep mine with apisto cacs and bolivia rams and cories without issue.
ok becaue I want to do 4 and i'm going to add some black pvc pipes for them!

Agree with above...assuming a peacock goby is actually a peacock gudgeon, I have never heard of any problems with this fish being kept in pairs or small groups.
Yes they are gudgeons, thanks looking to get just 2 pairs

Don't add the killifish to that mix. They will kill and eat everything if the apistos don't kill them first.
Dont think I will have anything in the tank that is that small for them to eat and the apisto's dont seem to bother other fish, if i do add them.

I've got peacocks and killies (A. australe, and F. amieti) in the same tank and they are ok. F. amieti get pretty big in terms of killies too. If you want killies you can't have shrimp or dwarf clawed frogs, I learned that the hard way.

Don't believe everything you hear about killies, all and all most are fine citizens in a community set up.
lol ya I about the shrimp but even adult shrimp?

Agreed, stocking is a bit high, but I think you'll be good with most of your choices.

My apistos don't bother anyone else in the tank either so I would really worry about them. Every fish is different though so just keep an eye on things.
Ya looks like I'm going to get 4 peacocks, 4 killifish, 10 tertas, leave the two corys i have in there now and the pair of apisto's just worried that the footprint is small for the apisto's.

I've had Gardneri a couple of different times, and they are cool fish. They aren't overly aggressive, but they will eat anything that can fit in their very large mouths given the opportunity. I would say CPD's would definitely be at risk for getting eaten, and even cardinals could be depending on what size you have. Also, make SURE you have every tiny little hole covered, even the small spaces around where your filter sits on the back of the tank. These guys are jumpers and if there is even the tiniest of holes, they WILL find their way out.

I would nix the hillstreams. They're cool fish but somewhat finicky on water conditions (cool water, fast flow, and I think somewhat acidic) and not really a good mix for the other fish you're wanting. Plus, that list looks to be overstocking a little and eliminating them would help that out.

Albino cories can get HUGE (at least for cories)! Never believed it until I saw one at my lfs that was every last bit of 3.5". Especially since it appears you have a fairly small footprint on that tank (taller vs. longer), albinos would not be a good choice, especially in an adequate sized school. As someone mentioned, juliis should be ok. The various dwarf/pygmy varieties are cool, and the ones I have are large enough not to be killi snacks - but it's something to keep in mind if you go with one of the dwarfs.

I haven't kept apistos, but between the gudgeons, the apistos, and the cories, you've got a lot going on in the bottom of the tank. I'd personally leave the apistos out - especially if you're set on a pair as they'll get very aggressive when spawning.

If it was me, I'd go with the 4 killies, 10 cardinals (making sure they're decent sized ones), 2-4 peacock gudgeons, and 6 cories depending on the size of the particular variety you get. That'll still be pretty heavily stocked, and will distribute your livestock through the tank (top to bottom) to get the best use out of the smallish footprint.
Ya looks like, i'm going to go with the tetras lets hope they will be fine and ya I have to find something to cover the back of the tank because i only have the hob filter. As for the hillstreams i dont think i will be going with them and just keep the 2 albino corys i have like i said above.

Yes i'm thinking about not getting the apistos because of that reason (footprint) or maybe just have one male apisto? but I dont know how that would work with just one male?

so like i said might just do
4 peacocks
4 killifish
10 tertas
2 corys
maybe the apisto(s)

Thanks for all the info guys!! more is welcomed

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm an Apisto lover so I would say get a really cool male of one of your listed species. The Hongsloi form II is gorgeous as is a real Viejita. 99% of all Viejita's are actually mislabeled Macmasteri's so be careful when buying a Viejita and only get it from a trusted apisto source who knows what they're talking about. One male would be just fine. If you get a pair they would probably pick out a little territory and defend the area so some more plants or maybe some driftwood in the center breaking things up a bit couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm an Apisto lover so I would say get a really cool male of one of your listed species. The Hongsloi form II is gorgeous as is a real Viejita. 99% of all Viejita's are actually mislabeled Macmasteri's so be careful when buying a Viejita and only get it from a trusted apisto source who knows what they're talking about. One male would be just fine. If you get a pair they would probably pick out a little territory and defend the area so some more plants or maybe some driftwood in the center breaking things up a bit couldn't hurt.
ya I want one so bad!! I'm glad I can keep one male by him self with out an issues.
Yes I have to start that mission to try an find a breeder!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts