The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well this is probably the first tank i've ever had that wasnt put together the day I got it. So i figured that i would do a post on here showing the build. The tank is an unknown manuf. suspect AGA based on overflow design and hole size. Its a dual corner overflow. The tank was salt and the overflow were encrusted in coraline and other various growths. I figured since i'm using 2 canisters that i would remove one and hard plumb the canisters in through the holes left. Then the other side is just for the return to a 30G sump.
Planning on low/med light. Vals, Swords, Crypts. Open to ideas on substrate. Im reallly leaning toward Turface with a white sand cap

Plans are 30G Sump
2 Eheim 2026 canisters
2 VisiTherm 300w
9w Turbo Twist. For now will upgrade to 18w shortly
4x96 PC DIY Lighting
Before being cleaned.

My arsenal of cleaning products. Ended up going through over 25 Razor Blades

And after 6hrs of work

And the stand was sand lightly and restained.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
damn dude coulda bought a new clean tank for all that labor and razors ;)

Nice restore, did something similar to my 75P just yesterday. Looking forward to the Discus.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its fairly thin lumber. Most pieces are 1x3's. I figure the tank was on it for around 4-5 years before i got it so it must be enough. Besides most of the stands we sell at the LFS i work at have very similar construction. Alot if good stand design is based on getting the weight transferred to the ground and most of the weigh occurs at the corners. Which if you look close the corners are doubled up 1x3's

And for 500 bucks this is definitely "sweat equity" Also got 3x250w halides 1x400w halides and an icecap 660 ballast in the deal LOL SO all that made the hard work more worth it.

Right now i only have 3 discus to drop in it from my 44. But the 2 tanks i tore down to replace this will hopefully profit me enough with the fish from then and the equipment itself to stock this up nicely. My LFS owner also breeds discus so i usually get some really good deals on the lil guys.

Throw in a little update. The 55G African Tank and 30G Dempsey tank were taken down tonight. 180 is replacing 55g and 30g is now the sump. So into the buckets they go for the trip to the LFS tomorrow and in goes a stand.
Stand inplace in basement

30G Sump

And a very unhappy pair of mated jacks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Minor update. Return pump was purchased along with the beginnings of my DIY wetdry setup. Started a little bit of the plumbing still have to get the tank up on the stand. All the plumbing pieces have arrived. Still waiting on funds to buy lighting and substrate. I think ive settled on 4x96w PC's for now and can always throw in some extra T5's if needed. And substrate is going to be FlorcoX which is like oildri, capped with play sand.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Love the tank.

Your a pens fan eh? Been my favorite team for 10+ years, gone to see them once last year when they come around my area (Vs avalanche).

May I suggest Mineralized top soil capped with PFS or Turface or 3M S grade (For sand look).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really like the white sand look ive seen with other discus tanks. Florcox is about the same as turface from what i have read and looking at msds and other data sheets. I thought about mineralized topsoil but frankly for a 12 square foot area about 1-2" deep thats alot of soil and mixing and drying it out...little to much work. I think im just going to do the florcox along with some dosing regimes and see how it goes...no co2 or super high lighting right now just low light plants similar to whats in the 44g now. They do fine with medium light and gravel with nothing else.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another larger update this time. Tank is on the stand and filled with water. All plumbing is complete and leak free. WetDry still needs tweaked and filled with media, just wanted to get a preliminary water test. Being that the tank is used and this is my first major plumbing expedition i wanted to make sure everything was right before fish ever went in.
All filled up

Pic of return spray bar

Canisters Hard Plumbed into bulkheads

DIY WetDry

Return/Wetdry

Hofer Gurgle Buster for drain

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That DIY Wet/Dry is brilliant! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I never would have thought to use a stackable drawer unit like that. I may just have to steal your idea. How's the sound factor with it? How easy is it to clean?

Cheers,
Phil

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.