The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the tank has been up for about 8 months no problems but now i have a major green water problem and BGA is starting to set in bad. Greenwater was about 1 to 2 inch visibility. i now do 20% water changes daily and now the water is now at 10 inch visibility but BGA is setting. Stats are below:

180 gallon
fx5 filter
co2 @ 6 bps with DYI reator rex sytle run by a aquaclear 402
3x 150 watt MH lights
(only running 2 and for a 8 hr peroid to see if that helps)

3x a week
1 1/2 tps KNO3
1/3 tps KH2PO4
1/3 tps trace

1x week
1 tps GH booster

Before
user18080_pic1699_1247073354.jpg

After (more grow then last pic but same layout and plants)
DSCF6485.JPG

im at a loss??

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just something I looked up for BGA:

Increase nitrates – Dose nitrates until the concentration reaches ~5ppm.
Add fast growing plants – this helps to out-compete the algae for resources.
Blackout – BGA cannot survive without light.
Excel/H202 treatment – Use a syringe to spot treat problem areas. Then manually remove dead patches.
Erythromycin – use antibiotics at half dosage to kill the bacteria. Mardel Labs’ Maracyn contains erythromycin and has been used effectively without harming most plants.

Green water is nothing Ive ever dealt with but UV sterilizers seem to keep that in check.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
UV sterilizer, FW clams, or waiting a few months are all cures for GW.

Erythromycin is said to be one of the easy ways to get rid of BGA.

Have fun!
-Andrew

·
Registered
5 Posts
the before and after pictures actually hurt me, i'm sorry that it happened. post on what you used and how it worked, i'm curious cause i'm on the losing end of a battle with BGA myself

·
Registered
458 Posts
easy method for killing GW - get a UV sterilizer
Harder method for killing GW - algaefix, dose it... do 3-4 day black out while running air stone, then follow up with 50-60% water change... with 25 % water changes daily for 2-3 days... problem solved.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I raised CO2 and N dosing and that got rid of the BGA. I was siphoning it off the foreground plants and moss almost daily. My tank is 90g and I have to feed the Rex reactor a constant stream of CO2 to keep the level up.

I'm not sure what causes GW.

Haven't had the problem for a while but for general cloudiness I'd just run a HOT magnum overnight with the pleated cartridge.

SteveU

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so today i started a blackout on my tank because right now i can not afford a uv sterilizer. so i will do this for 3 days!! Question I do turn off the CO2 right? and do i add any fertz? Also when the 3 days are up how big of a water change? I will post pictures!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
ok so today i started a blackout on my tank because right now i can not afford a uv sterilizer. so i will do this for 3 days!! Question I do turn off the CO2 right? and do i add any fertz? Also when the 3 days are up how big of a water change? I will post pictures!!
trying that ..if that not gonna work out .PM me and take and drive to the city . i'll let u borrow a 25watt UV till you get your water straight it out .

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it has been a week and a half and no green water but BGA is still there next im going to try that anti-bacterial stuff next

1 - 14 of 14 Posts