The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
You're definitely right on track! Great job and you've really got all my ideas covered. Gutter guard worked well for me. It allows a lot of flow too, compared to a weir with teeth in my experience.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Fauna update:

- 5 x-ray tetras
- 5 red eye tetras
- 10 neon dwarf rainbows
- 4 pearl gouramis
- 5 giant danios
- 4 bronze cory
- 3 albino cory
- 6 boesemani
- 3 ballon rams

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
I may have missed it but what did you finally end up with for lights? I saw the sump/wet/dry setup and the glass replacement, etc.. but somewhere I missed the lights.

And that is an awesome tank. :) Seems to be a great generational project as well, which is really cool.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It's a Beamswork Snakeeye 3 watt Led light. It's working great, in the bottom of the tank was growing some algae and have to reduce the photoperiod.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Very nice installation. I am also training a fish like yours, this morning she fetched both my wallet, keys and phone from the bedroom on command.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
It’s has been a long time since my last post but I want to give an update and ask for some help. 3 months ago I went on vacations and my uncle who was helping me to kept the tank leaved open the water valve that is use for water changes for hours and when he realizes of the mistake it was too late. Half of the fish where dead by the next day and the Valisneria Spiralis and the Egeria Densa melted right away. On the other hand, the Bacopa caroliniana, Hygrophila polysperma rosanervig and the Rotala rotundifolia grew a lot.

Right now all the plants are growing slow and the Cryptocoryne usteriana and the Echinodorus "Ozelot" have brown parts on the leaves. So I need to find out what are the deficiencies.

The tank still is a low tech setup, every 3 months a 25% of the water is changed and I don’t dose anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope the sump don't leak too much CO2. I will reduce the surface agitation by making a full syphon with bean animal system. Do you have a sump? Can I start a low tech tank with this kind of filtration?

I still evaluating my fish option:
1.- Angel fish, tetras neon, axelrod rasboras, cory cats
2.- Royal blue discus, axelrod rasboras, pearl gouramis
3. Schools of danios, tetras, rasboras…

I can do 2 inches of soil and 2 inches of sand, how deep my substrate can be? Can you do hills with this kind of substrate?
You can add a small vortex to the pump outlet in the sump and plumb the Co2 directly to that. solve any loss

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Start dosing ferts a month ago. Each week we dose:

1 teaspoon of seachem equilibrium
1 teaspoon of K2SO4
1/2 teaspoon of KNO3
1/8 teaspoon of KH2PO4.

With this the plants are looking healthier, the growth still is slow though. The background plants were trimmed and replanted and starts to look like a jungle. In the front we planted some sagittaria subulata and cryptocoryne parva.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I would really do more water changes than 25% once every 3 months.
Your fish would thank you for it.
What is the line of green stuff in the top back?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I would really do more water changes than 25% once every 3 months.
Your fish would thank you for it.
What is the line of green stuff in the top back?

In the last 25% water change the hole ecosystem stunt, so I'm still deciding what is the best course of action. Some say that no water changes for a low tech tank are fine and some say that 2 or 3 each year. The last water change was on August and right now everything seems to be normal. The evaporation in this tank is amazing so daily we have to fill between 2 to 4 liters of water. So if you do the math every 3 months we refill more or less 25% of the water, additional to the 25% I was doing every 3 months. I know that this doesn't help get rid of the toxins but the ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm and the nitrates are between 10 and 20 ppms.

The line of the green stuff is the return overflow that is cover of brown diatoms. Part of the overflow is fill with substrate because we want to grow some emerged plants on there.

·
Registered
990 Posts
In the last 25% water change the hole ecosystem stunt, so I'm still deciding what is the best course of action. Some say that no water changes for a low tech tank are fine and some say that 2 or 3 each year. The last water change was on August and right now everything seems to be normal. The evaporation in this tank is amazing so daily we have to fill between 2 to 4 liters of water. So if you do the math every 3 months we refill more or less 25% of the water, additional to the 25% I was doing every 3 months. I know that this doesn't help get rid of the toxins but the ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm and the nitrates are between 10 and 20 ppms.

The line of the green stuff is the return overflow that is cover of brown diatoms. Part of the overflow is fill with substrate because we want to grow some emerged plants on there.
i would listen to the tank to see if you need a water change or not. many people here have a made up rule in their head that you need to change #% of water every 7 days. those are all made up rules. I think for a tank like yours, you're doing fine. every 3 months - 4 times a year is fine. as long as you have plants, there is a eco system going on and it's balanced. only the newbies who mess with their water and throw off all their settings and almost comes crashing is when they need to hit a "reset" button and do a water change. but if you have everything balanced, its fine.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts