The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I picked up an All Glass 180 gallon tank, stand and eheim 2260 filter for only $275. However, when they removed the bulkheads in the over flow box they hack-sawed them off. Does anyone have a solution to remove the bulkheads in the overflow boxes to cap one off and use the other for a closed loop system?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You can smear it with with silicone remover, but I'd just try to cut the silicone from under it with a safety blade...
Had to do something similar when I patched the drain hole on a tank I purchased, and my wife made the piece of glass move before the silicone setting. Many curses were left to hang in the air while I chipped my knuckles cutting the glass patch off.

I guess a wire brush on a drill or dremmel cut be used to work through the plastic, not an option when removing glass.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If you aren't using one of the corner overflows, start by removing the overflow itself. A razor blade will make short work of the silicone and then you can pry the overflow away. When you have better access to the overflow, razor blade away the silicone and take a rotary tool to it. You can start with a sanding drum on the interior of the bulkhead area and it will eat through to the glass without much issue. Then the two pieces will just pop apart. Clean up with a razor blade and some acetone, but keep it away from your seems that you want to stay intact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts