The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 180 gallon aquarium and I want to get some glass tops for it but the few websites I have found that are selling glass tops either don't carry the right size or seem to be constantly sold out, or don't stock that size anymore.

I tried the DIY sliding glass tops and ended up using them on my 75 gallon because they didn't seem to be thick enough. I am going to be housing a very big cichlid in that tank and he hits his glass tops in his current aquarium often and with a lot of force, so I didn't think the cheap plated glass from the hardware store would stand up to the task.

So any advice on finding a reputable dealer or website that has tops in stock please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
AQ

·
Registered
807 Posts
Plexi is, unfortunately, a terrible material for aquarium tops. I learned this from experience - somewhat unbelieveably it sags due to the high humidity. After 24 hours I could already see bowing, after a week it no longer was useable as a lid. Some say you can just flip it every few days.

I would strongly suggest finding a local glass shop and getting them to cut some panels to fit. You can then either DIY some handles or buy replacement ones and stick on your new custom panels.

Custom glass sounds expensive, but if you're just doing lids, should be quite reasonable. 3/16" is probably tons for a lid. Hardware store glass is probably 1/8" or 1/16"...

·
Planted Tanker
5,979 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
A local glass store will work fine , i have heavy glass tops on my 100 and they work great. The only problem I have is the black hinge on the top interferes with my light so for at least 1 side I will get a 1 piece one made

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I found a website online that is selling a set of tops for $50. Or maybe they are $50 each, not sure, so sent them an email asking some information about it. When I hear back from them if everything checks out I will probably order some tops and then let you guys know how it works out for me. If all goes well I think these would be a very affordable alternative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts