The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am currently working on building a 180 gallon planted tank. Upgrading a very crappy designed 75 gallon. Just finshed the stand the other day and thought i would start a build thread as i plan on getting it filled this week. Below is some of the specs:

180 gallon 6 x 2 x2
Custom stand : Pull out drawers for dual FX5 canister filters
Black Diamond blasting coal slag as substrate
Lighting Medium light but unknown wanna go with LED just trying to figure out a good color spectrum
CO2

This will be my first attempt at planted Keep you all posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cabinetry Water Wood Rectangle Countertop Got the tank on the stand a back painted. Also got my DIY spray bar installed. Runs full length of the tank and will have two FX5 filters hooked up. Still gotta finish the plumbing for the in takes. Haven't quite decided on the canopy or lighting. Let me know what y'all think.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Awesome !
There are a few of the stemmed plants which get about 20" tall and Crypt Ballanese
also. Can picture a forest of either in a tank this size.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's awesome! How are you plumbing the filter intakes? Are they drilled into the glass or hang over the back?
1in Flex hose attached to PVC pipe hanging over the back. Didn't feel like drilling the tank and install over flow boxes plus this way keep the spray bar up towards the top and more hidden.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Canopy finished plumbing almost done got busy with work so this went on the side lines

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got the lights in the mail today!!! I know got to move the plants around had the fixture off my 75 on them so just grouped them together also got some bba growing but with the new light and me hooking the co2 up tomorrow hopefully it will go away. Anyway just thought I would post an update

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK guys this is what I am now fighting just got co2 hooked up yesterday the drop checker is green. Also put in my first dose of ei today. Should I just let it run through or should I try to fight this?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have 4 BN plecos and about 15 to 20 ottos. Thought about getting a few SAE but heard that they can sometimes go after larger fish and suck their slime off. Little leary about them.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Older SAE's only eat normal fish food and get real lazy, then they can bully other fish some also. The young true ones are effective though.

They are also very hard to catch later in a planted tank.

I'd use some API algaefix, then keep doing 2x a week water changes, say 40-70% for a bit till the plants grow in. Generally, 50% every 3rd day or so, for the 1st one to two months is a normal routine and then you can relax after 1-2 months to once a week.

The water change is a bit like weeding your garden for the first few weeks till the crops grow in and weeds can no longer get established.

The API stuff will kill the algae you have, watch the plants, the drop checker, I'm not keen on them, better to adjust the pH with a pH meter and use the KH. You can use relative pH drop to target a CO2 ppm, butthat's not really a specific thing either, it might need 30 ppm, it might need 45 ppm, it might need 20 ppm CO2.

So watch the plants and grow them well, by adding ferts, light and water changes, then the rest is pretty much CO2 or some relationship thereof, circulation etc, O2.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only problem wish shrimp is I have Discus and Angels afraid they will get eaten tried ghosts they didn't last long....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tank update been treating with api algae fix and reduced lighting to 10hrs per day

1 - 20 of 27 Posts