The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of getting c02 system going. I started calling around and was quoted $18.00 to exchange a 5lb c02 tank. Is this the going rate? or should I keep looking. This was a company that deals with speciality gases.

·
Registered
63 Posts
$18 sound about right. Just make sure if you are bringing in an aluminum tank they are giving you an aluminum one back. A lot of places don't usually have one to trade back. i like getting mind refill instant of trading it in.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I'm in the process of getting c02 system going. I started calling around and was quoted $18.00 to exchange a 5lb c02 tank. Is this the going rate? or should I keep looking. This was a company that deals with speciality gases.
Hi Greenery,

Also check with Fire Extinguisher companies, the one I use charges me $12.50 for a 5# and $15 for a 15# - I pay cash.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think $18 is lil bit on the high side but it s not too bad. it still depends on locations. One of welding store in my area charged $17 for 10lbs. I then came to a liquor store they charged $22...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Prices vary from place to place and across the country. Areas with lots of industry will offer more options than a town with only a bar and a gas station.

A refill or swap on a 5# tank may easily cost as much or more than a more standard sized tank.
Swapping one tank costs me X and a handling fee. Swapping two tanks costs me 2X and the same handling fee.

My last, and final, 10# refill cost about $18.00.
Swapping 20# tanks last cost me $24 and change, plus the handling fee. I kept my eye on Craig's list, so I have three industry standard 20# cylinders that cost less total, than my first 10# tank.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.