The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Wonderful job on the hardscape- lots of interest here in a small space.
I think it would look good as a backwater tank as well @shattersea. With a pair or Apisto's and 15 Tucano Tetras. :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With a pair or Apisto's and 15 Tucano Tetras. :)
I like the color choice of Tucano. I wanted to get Rummynose Tetras but I think the tank is too small for them.

Its not going to be a blackwater, Diorama scape with mostly epiphytes. Not sure about what to do with the back, left a space and didn't build the slope, I still might do that.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
Yeah cool fish. A tetra that gaurds its eggs who would have guessed.

Never scene them in any stores before.
I haven't seen them in stores either. Got them from Wetspot. I think all the ones you do see on vendors list are all wild- must be difficult to spawn in aquarium.
Yes! they are one of the only tetras that guard their eggs- very rare.
They are more difficult to acclimate. The first 24 hours is kinda hard for them- but, after that they are extremely hardy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice work getting it to look natural. I have a question - have you formed a plan yet for letting the moss grow over the rock versus trying to keep it confined to the wood? Subscribing to your thread to see how this grows out (and one vote for lots of moss, all over everything).

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

About 9 days after planting, everything is starting to grow in nice and slow.

The transition for most of the TC plants has been painless except some clumps of H. Pinnatafida have not grown new leaves and the old leaves have melted.

Some Ludwugia Palustrus has broken free from the wood, it may not be easy to 'train' it to stay on top of the wood. I put the extra stems in the substrate for now and will try to reglue several clumps on my next water change.

I only turned on CO2 3 days ago to give time for the baceteria to colonize first, next time I will try turning on CO2 right after planting it might help with the transition.

I had a lot of spderwood tree fungus a few days ago but after introducing Otos, Amanos and a nano Pleco it has just about all been eaten.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! have had some great growth
Yes, too quickly, some of the Buces are already getting too big and I'll have to consider splitting them in a few weeks.

The Neons works perfect in there. Is that a Harlequin Rasbora as well?
Its a small school of Espei Rasboras(Trigonostigma Espei) or Labchop Rasbora, smaller cousin of Harlequins. I might get a few more after my trip to bring them up to 10 or so as they school tightly with numbers. But I wanted to get Mosquito Rasboras as well so I'll have to decide one or the other.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts