The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

Right now I’m working on my first ever planted tank! : )
My tank is an Aqua One AR850 which is 165 litres (43.58 gallons) and currently I’m just working on hardscaping. Once I add water + plants I plan to leave it that way for two months or more so I can cycle it, adjust the parameters and make sure it’s perfect.

I’m planning to stock it with:
- 10-20 ember tetras (most likely 15)
- 10 cherry shrimp
- 1 bristlenose pleco

I’ve done a lot of research but I’m pretty anxious as this is my first tank.
Are these a good combination?
What would be good water parameters to keep them all comfortable?
Do you think this tank is over / understocked?
Any other tips / suggestions?

If you need any other information feel free to ask!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
In general, bristlenoses + shrimp seem to be good combination regardless. Most tetras tend to be a bit on the nippy side when it comes to shrimp, so I'm not sure if you'll be seeing any shrimplets, or growth in the cherry shrimp population. Stocking wise, you seem a little bit understocked. Ember tetras are a very small fish, and while bristlenose plecos and plecos in general tend to create a large amount of waste, it's not that bad of a problem. If anything, I'd add more cherry shrimp, and later on, I'd add more ember tetras. If you're looking for a "red" fish that's more shrimp friendly, chili rasboras would be a better choice IMHO.

Make sure the cherry shrimp have a decent amount of GH/KH in the water in order to facilitate molting (I think it's around 7 dGH) and tank stability. Will you be reconstituting from RO or RODI water? Or using water from the tap?

Make sure to add the cherry shrimp in advance of the ember tetras. Your tank seems to be very heavy on the "red fish" spectrum (ember tetras, cherry shrimp). What plants are you planning on keeping? I had a bristlenose pleco decimate my amazon sword plants, so make sure you're feeding it well even if it's mostly there for algae control.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all your advice!

Adding more shrimp sounds good so I’ll definitely take that on board and will do some research into chilli rasboras. The water where I live is considered soft ( 57 mg/L or about 3 dGH) so I was planning on using that and then hardening the water through different rocks in my aquarium to get it to a level that's good for my shrimp. However, I do plan on doing more research on RODI systems.

Plants I was planning on / considering keeping include java moss, hydrocotyle tripartita, bolbitis heudelotii, bacopa caroliniana, limnophelia sessiliflora and microsorum, but this subject to change and really depends on what my local suppliers have available.

Again, thanks for all your help and being so nice to me : )

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Consider just adding something like Seachem Equilibrium or Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ to your tap water as well! If you're adding ohko stone or dragon rock, you might not need to but it's all variable. It's also different if the substrate is inert as well.

Your plant list looks safe from the bristlenose pleco. You may not see your shrimp for quite a while (10 shrimp can get very, very, very lost in a 165L tank), but heavy planting will help any shrimplets survive predation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!
I’ll probably add the water and wait a few weeks before testing it and seeing if i should add seachem equilibrium / salty shrimp based on that rather than adding it in straight away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.