The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 60 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Wow, my dream tank. Coast to coast overflow, Beananimal drains, eurobraced, size - just perfect. Love both sets of rock too.

That is a lot of holes. What are the ones in the side and bottom of the tank used for?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Wow, my dream tank. Coast to coast overflow, Beananimal drains, eurobraced, size - just perfect. Love both sets of rock too.

That is a lot of holes. What are the ones in the side and bottom of the tank used for?
You and I share the same dream then! I only went with the peninsula style overflow because the tank was used and I didn't want to change it too much. If you look back in the thread you can see the original, huge internal overflow.

Eventually I want a nice big tank with a full coast to coast. I'm actually having a ~45 gallon tank built with the pane I chipped that will have a coast to coast, but it will still have an inch or so on each end with an external box. I'm just going to bring the return through the box on that one.

Whenever I build a new big tank I will bump up the height to 24" again, but even at 6'3" my tank at 22" tall and eurobrace is hard to reach into when it's on the stand. I'll keep the euro as a splash guard but I'll build the tank an extra 4" in depth and install a false back that is cut shorter to form the coast to coast. You just have to plan for that style so you can fabricate a proper stand and such. For my simple setups I prefer to just do a 95% length coast to coast. They are easier to make work because you just pull the stand out from the wall a bit.

About all the holes everywhere, as you could tell, Kathy, the overflow has three 1" for drains, Beananimal style. The builder was pushing 1.5" holes but the box would have to be pretty big for that, even being cnc'd. I figure at full syphon the 1" can easily handle 1500 gph or more so even if I switched to salt (fat chance) I would have enough drain to handle the flow. Since I will only have 800 gph max I should be fine. I'm more worried about the size of the notch but I'll have to test it to see how everything works.

The three holes on the bottom in front of the overflow are the old drains. The two 1.5" are being capped with bulkheads as a glass patch is almost impossible to remove later. The old 1" return is my closed loop drain and the two 3/4" holes scattered are the CL returns. If the 1" CL drain sucks too hard I'll split it to two screeners or use one of the 1.5" holes instead. The 1.5" screeners are just gigantic.

I tried to place the 3/4" CL returns in places that are good for many layouts but who knows. While I was thinking about it I ran through a bunch of layout patterns and eventually just picked two spots. I tried to keep in mind that the tank is designed to stick out from a wall, viewable from three sides. Even though I'm placing it in the corner I have made all the cabinetry so I can make it a peninsula later.

About the rocks, the Ohko are just too textured for my layout skills so I ordered another 100 pounds of Seiryu from PC1. I figure 140 pounds total is enough to do what I am trying to accomplish.

Now I just have to wait two weeks for the silicone to fully cure.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. CO2 on a closed loop sounds like a great idea.

I like the idea of the peninsula overflow, actually moved my HOB oveflow to the right hand side of the 100 gallon tank after I took my black background off. Then no equipment showed on the face of the tank save for the small skimmer box which your external overflow doesn't even have!!!

My daughter was wondering how you are keeping critters out of the sump.

Hope your rocks come soon so you can plan something amazing to put in the tank to go with that terrific wood.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Haha, I wasn't going to put much effort into keeping the critters out. In fact, there is only going to be simple screeners over the drains. If the primary ends up sucking air I will add a cap of some sort to prevent a vortex forming.

The co2 will actually feed into the return pump. It's just easier to do it that way rather than add a connection in the high pressure closed loop.

I like the overflow on the end cause lookin through 6' of water it's hard to see anyway, and from the long ends you can't see through the end pane anyway when water is in te tank.

I picked up some gorilla glue today as apparently it will glue the wood well. I want to make some branches longer and add some here and there to a larger piece. If that doesn't work out I'll try some PC-11 epoxy as per Tom's recommendation.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This is going to be beastly. The rock stack you did with the 40 pounds was great btw.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Consider yourself subscribed, I'm in for the ride.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
That fixture is amazing

this whole set-up is amazing! you must really be itching to get it going! sub'd
Thanks guys. I'm getting so anxious it's incredible. Even the tank builder said he was surprised I'm actually waiting the minimum two weeks cure time for the tank. He said this Wednesday is good but I'm still waiting on a shipment of bulkheads from J&L and a box o' rock from PC1 so I'm pretty much stuck.

This is going to be beastly. The rock stack you did with the 40 pounds was great btw.
Thanks, I was having a tough time getting it to look realistic. I think once I have some bigger rocks it will look better. Rather than a pile of rubble. Just wait till I have 140 pounds!

Consider yourself subscribed, I'm in for the ride.
Awesome!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
What a beautifully built tank. This build has a promising start!
Thanks man. If I can do half as well as you I'll be happy.

Pretty much ran out of things that I can do for now so I pulled out my wood and threw together an idea of what I'm gunning for. I'll have to move it around some as I add the rocks but the idea is there.

Let me know what you think...

FTS

From my entryway

From my corner of the couch

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
wow that wood piece looks absolutely f***ing amazing.

first time ive said anything close to this about anyones tank on here. damn im jealous i dont have an amazing piece of wood like that.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
wow that wood piece looks absolutely f***ing amazing.

first time ive said anything close to this about anyones tank on here. damn im jealous i dont have an amazing piece of wood like that.
Thanks dude, that means a lot. But keep in mind that it is a bunch of pieces but together. About 5 or 6 centerpieces and then a bunch of branches added here and there.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Sloppy pics, but I had the tank running tonight.

Somehow I managed to overflow the sump, but I don't know how... I franticly vacuumed and towelled up the water and started up the system again and the incident didn't repeat. At first I thought I had too much total volume and the sump overfilled with the back flow, but when I stopped the system again the water level was a good four inches below the top of the sump. It's weird...

I'm thinking that a media back blocked the flow through of the first chamber but I'm not sure. I'm going to move the (possible) problem bag and try to recreate the mess, and if I can't I'll leave well enough alone.

My only other issue is the check valve on the returns is making a loud noise, almost like the ball is caught between open and closed, vibrating up and down. I got it to stop once but it started again when I reset the system.

Pics -

41 - 60 of 235 Posts