The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I don't see why you need 48 XML's unless your doing a high-light setup...I have 12 XP-G's running at 700mA on my 55 and they are just as bright as 4X24W setup and they're 8" above the tank with no optics. They are over a 22" heat sink, and cover 3/4 of the tank with plenty of light.
I'm using 28 XML for main lighting and 24 xpg for supplementation. The XML max out at 1500 mA and the xpg at 1A.

The XML are cool white with 40 degree optics. 12 royal blue xpg and 12 neutral white xpg with 60 degree optics. This way I can adjust the colour temp from very yellow to very blue. The pendants will be as close to the ceiling as possible.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was helping my landlord put up a new fence today and after we dug the holes out I realized I should steal some of the clay for a MTS substrate. I was going to use ADA AS but it is much too expensive locally, but I have lots of black flourite. Probably enough to use only flourite. I will pick up some topsoil and start mineralizing it, maybe tomorrow. The clay is on a tarp all broken up to dry it out and I will crush it to powder.

I will also be picking up some 5/8" or 3/4" birch ply so I can skin my stand and cut a piece for under the tank. Right now the plywood is only 1/4" so it wouldn't add any support to the bottom.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Broke down the tank today to rebuild and make some changes to the overflow. Ended up chipping the bottom pane (I think it was a chip hidden in silicone) and chipped the back panel really bad. It most definitely needs to be replaced. I'm at my wits end with this darn setup. The only thing really holding me back at this point is the tank. I'm at the point where I might just fork out $1200 for a new one.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Lined up a builder to build my tank. He will be doing it for $500 and it will be built on site. Having it changed so it has a peninsula style weir with an external overflow box. Two 3/4" returns, one on each side of the box. He's also replacing the chipped panel.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got the panels all routered, sanded and prepped for magnets. I'm a few short and I need to paint before I install them. I rounded the edges along the top and ends and added grips to help remove the panels. The magnets are pretty strong. The end panel barely stays up but it only wants to slide down, not pull off. The other four have twice the magnets should they should float well. I meant for them to sit on the floor so either way it doesn't matter.

I have to spray them with sealer and then I have gloss white paint to finish it. Hopefully I will get a mirror like finish that is like glass when I'm done. I'm using oil based paint so everything should be waterproof.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This is awesome. I love these large scale diy projects and cant wait to see how this turns out. Have you considered adding more power outlets!!!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well I deleted a bunch because I also have an Aqua Junior
Controller with a dc8 and another controller with a dc4.

This gives me two outlets on a switch, six on another, 12 always on, two gfci protected always on and up to 12 controlled outlets. I think I'll have enough times three.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Does this pile of rock look natural? Just practising with 40 pounds. Have another 100 in the mail.

\

Also have 130 pounds of Ohko to play with. It's difficult for me to use though. I'm looking for rocks I can pile and Ohko is hard to stack naturally. It's better for Iwagumi layouts, IMO.

21 - 40 of 235 Posts