The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 gallon bowfront tank with a 96 quad hood on it. the tank has an emperor power filter (i dont know the model) as well as c02 at 1 bubble/2sec (i havent measuered the c02 recently, but my ph is constant at 6.9) for substrate I am using a mixture of decomposed granite and sand with a small amount of laterite as a base. I have attached pictures of what i have so far (i just removed a large piece of drift wood from the left half of the tank - which is why it is barren). I am also having issues will filimintus algae on the sides of my java ferns.

please give me your advise on how I can make the tank better/ get rid of the filamentous algae

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'd try to hide all the tubing and equipment a little better, if you can. And fill in that empty space with something. I don't know how to get rid of that algae, though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'll take a stab at your algae issue. Java fern is a pretty low light plant, I'm not sure what you have for lighting but try moving the java fern somewhere else so it isn't completely exposed to light. Maybe even some floating plants to reduce lighting intensity???... Throw a simple black background on your tank too, it will make for a cleaner look, at least until everything fills out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and moved the heater and the diffuser as well as the filter intake to the far right corner (ill attach a pic later). i have also switched the background around so that the black side is now facing forward. I stopped by my local lfs and bought some stones varying in size with very similar textures. ill post a pic of them in a little while. does anybody have any reccomendations on where the rocks should go, i also have plenty of pool sand left over in case i wanted to add more of that. As far as the java fern, i plan to remove the one at the top of the peice of wood. any response on where it should go?

The lighting for this tank is quite high 6W/gal. however i do have pressurized CO2 and i add ferts weekly (excell).

any feedback is welcome as this is my first real venture into freshwater planted tanks (had a SW macroalgae tank a few years ago).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts