The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a 10g tank (for a local business my wife works at.) and the 10 I already have available is one with the iridescent 2 bulb setup. It's going to be planted with no co2. I'm curious if anyone has used the little 15 watt compact fluorescents in one of these. And do you think this will be too much light?

·
Registered
911 Posts
The 13 watt daylight spiral cfl's fit fine but it heats up the hood a little. I've used them when I had a 10gal tank.

Another option will be the lights of america brand 10 watt CFL for aquariums at walmart at around $6/pc.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-10-Watt-Mini-Fluorescent-Aquarium-Bulb-1-ct/10448675

The 13w daylight spirals are much cheaper though at around $8 for a pack of 4 at home depot.
In my experience with the 10g tank w/o CO2, Algae has been present so maybe the 9w daylight spiral may be a better choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohh I forgot to mention I was using the 15w because they were on hand. I can pick up some different ones.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
For a 10g, I like to use two of the Sylvania, daylight, 23 watt, "now smaller than ever" spiral compact bulbs/lamps. Menard's carries them. I've seen them at Walmart on occasion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts