The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my hands on a 15g long today and i really like the dimensions on the tank (24x12x12). So i've decided to replace my shrimp tank with this tank. I'm thinking of desgining something like this

I don't have access to any nice rocks for the hardscape so I pieced together what I could find from my front yard. This is what I came up with

Please don't mind the color of the rocks because they will most likely be covered with moss, so the (ooglie) colors wont show. As for the gap between the two big rocks, I'm thinking of planting something bushy there to sort of hide it half way.. This is my first shot at a real hardscape so I'd appreciate any advice :help: TIA :)

-Tuan

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
;) I'll be adding some more water today.. I wasn't sure the counter that I'm putting it on could handle it so I held back on filling it all the way up.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Looks pretty nice. I agree with the fill her up comment... And isn't that tank a 20L not a 15L? I was looking at the AGA dimension chart today dreaming away...:hihi:

I've seen things like that picture In Real Life... Its amazing. You just see these HUGE boulders COVERED in moss, and a nice stream running thru or around them!

Amazing stuff!

-Andrew

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I filled it up tonight, i will post an updated picture later :)

Andrew:
Thanks :) It is a 15L, a 20L is 30x12x12. I've never seen the real thing but I've always loved how it looks in pictures. I have an idea of how I want to replicate it but i'm not sure if it will look the way i want it to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m just going to throw some ideas out there. The stream is opens upwards like a V. in the picture you are trying to recreate. In your actual scape you have some of the stones opposite, this creates a closed feel. It signifies that it's the top and there is nothing else and it makes me think I’m looking at the entire stream. I personally think you should focus on a smaller aspect of the stream; for example one side of the stream, the mouth, or the ledge. Not the entire layout of a stream and surrounding area.

·
Registered
514 Posts
also i don't know if you noticed or not but if you rise the back higher then the front, it will add dept to the tank. In the picture you see the stream getting smaller and higher giving it the look of going in, if you apply that it will give you tank a biiger look also.

Great idea with the layout and i think the rocks will do fine,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts