The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I'm new to this whole planted tank thing. I've got a pretty good grip on things, just one thing has me baffled - lighting. I know hex's aren't the greatest for plants, but it's all I have to work with at the moment. Because of the small surface area, I can only fit a 1' foot long strip light over it, fitted with a 15 watt compact fluorescent.

I guess what I'm wondering is if the WPG formula works the same for hex aquariums. I've only got 1WPG going on it if so, and I can't figure out any way to add more lighting without really cluttering up the top. The tank is 18" top to bottom, if that makes any difference.

The tank was planted just today, with an assortment of trimmings from a friends tank. So far there is:

Egeria najas
Hygrophilia difformis
Cabomba aquatica
Vallisneria americana
Hygrophilia sp.
Anubias nana

I'm not expecting all of them to survive, like I said they're mostly just trimmings so I thought I'd take my chances and see which ones do good and which don't.

Should I be looking for ways to add more light, or should I just work with what I got? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Good luck. I would get a compact fluorescent or two up there. You could check out AHsupply.com, if you are a DIY'er. Also check lowe's or home depot as they have quite a few options for CF lighting. 18" and 15w is just not gonna grow much.

OR you could put the tank where it gets more natural light. Not too much, but some is very helpful. Cheapest solution :) .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts