The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done other, smaller low tech tanks without many problems. This one might be a different animal all together.

Basically I am getting a perfect 150g, 6ft tank for $75. My buddy owed me some money and was getting out of the hobby, so I took the chance. Always wanted a 6ft tank and for $75, I'm not going to throw a hissy fit over it being 28" tall!

My plan, so far, is this:

Pressurized CO2, 20lb cylinder. Why? Might as well get it now than later. I'll just turn the CO2 levels down if I am getting more than my plants can use.
Mineralized top soil capped off with either Oil-Dri or PFS, unsure yet.
Low light plants like ferns, moss, swords, anubias, etc.
Minimal fish load - Talking some BN plecos, White Clouds, etc. Nothing like 100 White Clouds or anything, maybe 2 dozen.

I want to go slow with this tank and slowly build it up to a high tech, high light tank. Eventually I want to carpet the tank in HM or Dwarf Hair Grass and have it be nothing but shrimp, White Clouds, and plecos. No fancy fish for me!

What is throwing me for a loop is an inexpensive filtration system. I have some LARGE sponge filters that I was thinking about just using Maxi-Jets on them and running the filters that way. Probably use three of them (sponges are about 6" across, 8" high.

Lighting I am also stuck at. Was considering putting my 2x96w PC retrofit side by side, then staggering 4 x 40w T8's to cover the front area.

Is this sounding like I am on the right track?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
It does sound like you're on the right track! Congratulations on going with CO2 even though you won't technically need it. Your tank will thank you for it! As far as lighting, what you mentioned will work, but it might be in your best interest to go with some more 96 watters instead of the t8's. I even think that a trio of 4ft 54w bulbs centered right down the middle of the tank would provide enough light to the edges, especially for low light plants like you mentioned.

As for filtration... the sponge filters might not be enough. It's hard to say for sure. But for a tank that size I recommend a good canister, if not a wet-dry. Regardless, just stock it full of plants for more biological filtration, and the sponge filters might take care of the rest for you, or at least buy you some time before upgrading your filtration.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input.

The idea was to go nice and slow, not rush into things at all like I've done before. That's why I haven't got a canister or wet-dry yet (and I hate overflows......bleh......can't trust them!).

The lighting I mentioned was just what I had on hand and available. I do have 2x175w MH and a 250w MH just sitting here but I definitely am not ready for those by far!!!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
2 dozen WCMM will be dwarfed by that tank. Go for 100, you won't regret it, and even 100 of those will be a negligable bioload.

If you're putting pressurized CO2 on the tank, IMO your best filtration options will either be several large canisters, or perhaps an Ocean Clear.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
2 dozen WCMM will be dwarfed by that tank. Go for 100, you won't regret it, and even 100 of those will be a negligable bioload.

If you're putting pressurized CO2 on the tank, IMO your best filtration options will either be several large canisters, or perhaps an Ocean Clear.
Good point. 100 of them isn't that expensive really, might as well grab 120 and figure 20 in loss....about the norm sadly. :(

The Ocean Clear is a great idea. The LFS run their systems off them and they always have crystal clear tanks and healthy fish......nice!

Might not even go with the pressurized right away. Could hold off if it is going to make a big difference. So many variables...

Edit: Found two Eheim 2236 for $50 each. Not a bad price, like new, and I think that'd be enough filtration. I have a big Aquaclear laying around too I could toss in I guess.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Topfrog!

After reading a little bit I remember reading that a loooooong time ago! Forgot about it. Much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts