The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using them and have pic of the coloring of them? In my hunt for a fresh lighting arrangement I'm considering going from my 70 watt MH to 150 watt MH for the extra punch as I'm running a blackwater tank that is fairly deep light to substrate is around 38".

Only thing that sucks about these bulbs is the $95 price tag each unless someone has another source for them.

Craig

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at using 3 of the Coralife Aqualight Advanved series clamp on 150 watt MH units. I really like the look of my 70 watt vipers but these are a little classier looking yet.

Craig

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are a little rough on red plants, kind of wash the colors out, as they are on the "cooler" side. That being said, for accenting the greens, WOW!!

jB
Well no red plants in my tank, mostly just Jungle Vals plus some nice rock and fish layouts.

Craig

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I would also suggest them, I found a suitable PC bulkb replacement, but the 8000K similar knock offs have not been as nice IME.

As Jason states, the greens are very nice, not great for the reds..........but they still grow decently.

If you use a different PC and have the PC+ HQI.then use the Green ADA bulb and then you can chose different PC lights.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would also suggest them, I found a suitable PC bulkb replacement, but the 8000K similar knock offs have not been as nice IME.

As Jason states, the greens are very nice, not great for the reds..........but they still grow decently.

If you use a different PC and have the PC+ HQI.then use the Green ADA bulb and then you can chose different PC lights.
Thanks Tom, Seems no matter what if I go with 150 watt MH I should give these 'Green' bulbs a try. Now I really just need to contemplate if I want to stay with just MH or find a MH + T5 fixture.

Craig

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am using the regular ADA bulb in my tank listed in my signature. Jason, is correct when he says the bulbs are not very friendly to reds. But wow, they really do make greens and yellows pop!

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Thanks Tom, Seems no matter what if I go with 150 watt MH I should give these 'Green' bulbs a try. Now I really just need to contemplate if I want to stay with just MH or find a MH + T5 fixture.

Craig
Well, think about fish coloration............Reds/Blues are often desirable...........LED strips can be of use there...........but then you lose the aesthetics of the open top lighting.

I wish ADA would step up and get on the ball with the LED, T5 lighting, they are a decade behind in that regard.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tanks Tom, the only red/ blue in the tank is the Cardinal Tetras as all teh other fish are very natural coloered with creams, browns, silvers, blacks and yellow. This light should work great for them then.

Craig

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
My 180 has the ADA like color, the cards look good, but they could look better if I used different accent lighting.

They are quite colorful and fat but this is less to do with light and more to do with good care.

I switched the lighting out and went with 10K and 6500 iwaski color temps and returned back.

I do have a stem or two of A reineckii which is still quite nice, but not as deep red as in other tanks with different color temps.

If your tank is mostly bright green and darker mosses etc, these are very suited. Cards look very nice, particularly against darker moss and wood/rock backgrounds.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
BTW, the 180 gal tank only uses the 8800K PC lights, not the HQI anymore, I have not used those for 4 years.

If you use HQI, I would strongly suggest them vs knock offs. Same for the diffusers. The rhinox started to fall apart over time, the ADA have lasted.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the bulbs yesterday and my lights a few days ago. Just got some time to get them setup and have to say the color is great on them. Only got to watch them for about an hour before lights out. Can't wait to see them tomorrow when I get done with work after they have been on fora day and the color starts to adjust.

Craig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.