The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is absolutely horrible. my first big wannabe planted tank and it's leaking. Please help. yesterday i fill the tank 15% in the backyard with out any leaking. now after adding flourite substrate in the house and fill the water up 50%, it start to leak at bottom left corner, and the front center. No sign of crack. i bought the "perfecto aquarium sealant" at petsmart to reseal it. but not sure if i'm doing it correct, so i need you all help before i start on it.
i'm not sure if i add the subtrate in the center too much that's why it leaking. the tank leaking at the bottom and a little at the back. also there's a crack on the plastic at the center of the tank. this picture took right after i clean the mess up.

My question is :
Should i reseal the tank? how hard is it? is it safe later on for the tank this size? is "Perfecto Aquarium Sealant" silicone a good brand?
is it unsafe since there's a crack on the plastic panel?

here's the tank. sorry,i can't seem to rotate the picture since i dont have photoshop.

this pic, it leak at the bottom and spill up on the crack of the plastic.

in this picture, the middle plastic panel crack and water leaking out. a lot of dripping on the front left and center. is it unsafe?

Thank you for helping me out yall.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You should take all pieces apart ,clean/remove silicone ,reseal.
a lot of work but that is the only way you can be 100% sure is done right.
It is not as hard as you think,I did it with my 100 gal.tank .
Remember,its never wise to buy a second hand fish tank.
If you decide to separate and reseal your tank,I will help you get through it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
On a second hand tank: a 15% fill up for testing is NEVER good enough. I would always test by filling 100% full, and leaving the water a full 24 hrs to test for any leak....small or large. Heck, that's what I do even with a new 20gallon tank.

How good is your home-owners insurance????? Want to find out???? Unless you've got that baby in a basement with a floor drain close by, no carpeting anywhere on the same floor, and nothing valuable lower than 2ft to the ground...drain it and get rid of it. Patching a leak is never enough. If you like DIY stuff, and you're good at it (and careful) you can strip and reseal it. I'd still be concerned about the plastic brace being cracked.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
That sucks. Where you get it? off craig's list? Where you at in TN?

If you decide you don't want to fix it, I'll take it off your hands for cheap. ;)

:bounce:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Is it brand new? If you bought it at the store it is defective and you should get your money back or a replacement!

Tina

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone advices. hey distrbd, is it safe since the plastic brace crack and water leak out of it? when you mean take all pieces apart, do you mean the plastic brace too?

You should take all pieces apart ,clean/remove silicone ,reseal.
a lot of work but that is the only way you can be 100% sure is done right.
It is not as hard as you think,I did it with my 100 gal.tank .
Remember,its never wise to buy a second hand fish tank.
If you decide to separate and reseal your tank,I will help you get through it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey mcclellan, i lived in memphis, TN. so its 6 hrs drive from knoxville. haha you still want it?

That sucks. Where you get it? off craig's list? Where you at in TN?

If you decide you don't want to fix it, I'll take it off your hands for cheap. ;)

:bounce:

·
Are these real?
15,726 Posts
IMO the plastic brace isn't what keeps the water in the tank. It's the silicone between the glass panels. The brace just hides the ugly glueing job, and adds a little bit more structural stability. So if it is leaking where the brace cracked, just siliconing that back together wouldn't really solve the problem.

If you would do what distrbd suggests, you'd have to remove the brace (which will destroy it I believe...).

Good luck... :frown:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
What a disappointment! See if you can get inspired in the vivarium forum. Orchids and tree frogs? It's a nice tall tank for that, and you'd have to be creative with your water, but you can still have a lot of fun with a semi-aquatic planted tank.

·
Registered
420 Posts
baowow, If you do what Mori suggests (great idea!!!!)
you could set up your water portion on the right-side of the tank, where there is no leak!

All you would have to do is, cut a piece of plexi-glass and silicone it to section off the tank.

The left-side with the leak, you could patch up as best you can and then fill it up with soil and plants and will ultimately be your land area :angel: :angel:

If you re-seal it, you MUST do it correctly or else your efforts will end in even more disappointment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Yoko. yeah it's a nice tank. i dont know if i should reseal it or not. it seem like everyone afraid of resealing it. i might as well buy a 120 gallon tank to replace this. maybe i get more light on the bottom since this is too tall anyway.
This is my last time buying a used tank.

·
Registered
420 Posts
baowow, I feel bad. Don't toss it, keep it in storage. Maybe after building the new tank and you get bored, you may want to build a Paludarium :angel:

Did you know it was cracked before you bought it?

I feel really bad :0(

RE: Reseal.
I think it would depend on how confident you are in your skills (i.e. if you've had prior experience, etc). It's just that there is a lot at stake here. It's not a 10g, you know? I've experience a mini-flood in my bedroom, due to shelf failure. It was a horrible experience.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It would also depend on if it were going in a basement or not...my last basement had drains in the floor going directly to the sewer. Very old school. On the bright side, you're not out THAT much money--the stand is a big chunk of the price and you still have that!

(And the other bright side, it really would have been hard to work on that thing!)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Alright I'm back,sorry for replying late ,I was at work.
You must separate all 4 sides(panes) , remove the silicone from the seams, this is the part that takes so long.if you pay close attention to the way aquariums are sealed its 2 small pieces (right and left sides)which are glued or sandwiched between the 2 big pieces(front and back sides),what holds the tank together is the silicone that we put on the edges of the small side pieces to glue them to the front and back pieces,and of course the bottom piece keeps it all square,so if the braces are cracked don't worry too much ,your big problem is to carefully separate the front /back pieces from right ,and left sides.I used a sharp knife ,and piano wire ,if you take your time and do this step carefully ,you have won half the battle.
it took me a couple of hours a day after work for 2 weeks to do this on my 100 gal.if you decide to commit yourself to do this project ,let me know .
do you have basement or a place where you could do this for a few days or longer?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright I'm back,sorry for replying late ,I was at work.
You must separate all 4 sides(panes) , remove the silicone from the seams, this is the part that takes so long.if you pay close attention to the way aquariums are sealed its 2 small pieces (right and left sides)which are glued or sandwiched between the 2 big pieces(front and back sides),what holds the tank together is the silicone that we put on the edges of the small side pieces to glue them to the front and back pieces,and of course the bottom piece keeps it all square,so if the braces are cracked don't worry too much ,your big problem is to carefully separate the front /back pieces from right ,and left sides.I used a sharp knife ,and piano wire ,if you take your time and do this step carefully ,you have won half the battle.
it took me a couple of hours a day after work for 2 weeks to do this on my 100 gal.if you decide to commit yourself to do this project ,let me know .
do you have basement or a place where you could do this for a few days or longer?
hey distrbd, thanks for taking time to reply. anyway i dont have a basement or a place where i could do this, pretty small house. seem like i have no choice but to give the tank away. actually i bought the tank, stand, fluval 404 canister, and some other random stuff for $200. so i guess it's ok. i probably buy the 120g tank to replace it. I'm going to buy it at glasscages.com which is 2 and 1/2 hour s away from my city.
Thanks everyone for helping me out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey guys i'm in memphis....lookin for other folks in the area to help me get started and let me see their tanks to get ideas. i'm going for a planted discus tank

jerry

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Jerry and bao, I not only live in Memphis but in the same zip as Jerry. LMK if you need anything. Maybe we'll meet up at Bob's tropicals.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
I'm going to buy it at glasscages.com which is 2 and 1/2 hour s away from my city.
$200, you got a sweet deal, even without the tank!

If your going to Nashville to pick up the new tank, you can just swing by Knoxville and drop the old beast off first. ;) Free beer and plants for your trouble!

Seriously though, I was planning on going to glass cages sometime soon just to 'look around' and talk about rimless tanks (for a > or = 90g SA tank). If you are taking a big truck over to Nashville, maybe I could meet you?

The 'aquarium scene' here in Knoxville pretty much sucks. Seems Memphis and Nashville have a lot more going on.

~joel

1 - 20 of 42 Posts