The Planted Tank Forum banner

15 gallon stocking suggestions

1956 3
My 15 has been cycling for a few weeks now. Water parameters look good, and I used filter media from my already-cycled tank. I plan to run the marineland penguin 150b in there, with 1 peppered Cory (it's what I already have), 3 panda corys, 2 rams, and 10 neons. According to the aqadvisor thing and some other things it sounds like it will still be clean. What are your thoughts?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Just want to clarify: What are you feeding your beneficial bacteria (ammonia source)? Just putting aged filter media in a tank with no fish/inverts/fish food/pure ammonia added means the bacteria starve and die. If you have just 1 cory in tank when you add more fish you will experience a new cycling. Pure ammonia adding is best with no fish (can add for full stock volume worth of waste and beef up your bacteria count before fish go in then stock all at once).
Stocking advice: cory do better in groups of 6 or more-get at least 5 more of the same type of cory.
I would personally stick with just cory (and add a few more, maybe stock 9) and ram.... or remove your 1 cory and get just tetra + ram

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'd add a few more panda cories, maybe 3 more to create a nice school.

I gather the lone pepper is a leftover from another setup? If he seems happy with the pandas, then let it be (a 15g is a bit small for a school of pepper cories), but if he's hiding and seems unhappy maybe try to rehome him. Especially since peppers like cooler temps, and your rams like it in the low 80's.

I'd add a small school of nano-size tetras to the tank, or a dwarf pleco. I think your stock plan is fairly close to capacity already, particularly with rams being very sensitive to water quality, so I wouldn't add much more. Rehoming the pepper would help though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now (week 3) I have 2 neons, a GBR (accidentally got two females), and 2 corys. The cycling should be fine, but in the future I was wondering if that would bee too little or too much for the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.