The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much going on here, usually I wouldn't post a journal for a farm tank but i quite like this one.

Clockwise, starting from the top, Christmas moss, Fissidens fontanus, Flame moss, Peacock moss. I eventually hope to get some weeping and willow moss for the sides.

15 gallon long (24x12x12)
old 65watt coralife PC fixture
old powerhead for water movement
unheated.

I'm gonna try to post updates every two weeks to see how it grows in.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ugh, sorry about the green water! It's lookin' good tho! :)

Have you thought about floating some stems[like hygrophila polysperma] to filter the light and compete with the green water?

·
Registered
574 Posts
cool moss! and thanks again for the sweet manzanita!

i just picked up some daphnia eggs from carolina.com....great cultures!

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugh, sorry about the green water! It's lookin' good tho! :)

Have you thought about floating some stems[like hygrophila polysperma] to filter the light and compete with the green water?
I don't mind the green water at all, it's just a farm tank, and it's tucked away in the attic anyway.
I may have to try that stem trick though. Would HM work?

I'd start a daphnia culture in there. Food for the fish! :icon_mrgr
Haha, I could, but I eventually plan to sell this moss, and I don't know if everyone would be happy with it coming with free daphnia.

Brilliant!

You can throw some shrimp in there to keep the moss clean, some amanos, cherries, or CRS
I may get some shrimp in the future, I might look into CRS or blue pearls. I've been told amanos actually eat moss. :O

cool moss! and thanks again for the sweet manzanita!

i just picked up some daphnia eggs from carolina.com....great cultures!
You're quite welcome!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
That really cool! Do lots of people have farm tanks? Or is this one of the first of its kind?

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That really cool! Do lots of people have farm tanks? Or is this one of the first of its kind?
I wouldn't be surprised if farm tanks might outnumber display tanks in the hobby. I have another farm tank for UG, but that tank is about as exciting as watching grass grow. Literally.

I just thought it would be interesting to take a photo series of how well the tank grows in over what length of time, and I figured I might as well post it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts