The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

More than a month ago, I wanted to have a fish tank and I bought one. It's about 140G tank (72"x25"x18" dimension). I also have purchased 2 canister filters for it. As I was doing a research on water cycling for a fish tank, I came across this beautiful Planted tank on youtube. Ever since then, my research was focus more to the planted tank. I have been doing a lot of research including reading articles, watching videos, analyzing people's threat on forums, etc.

I would like to have the high-tech Planted tank. My idea is to have an Iwagumi style (rocks and green carpet with hills). After doing a lot of research on HOW-TO, I believe my last research would be "financial".

So here are my questions:

1) How much does it cost for the CO2 system for this big tank?
2) How much does it cost for the soil?
3) How much plant do I need to cover as carpet? and cost?
4) How much lights does it need? Some info I read 3Watt per gallon?
5) Is it too big for me to do the project as I am a newbie?

Your opinion and suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hello everyone,

More than a month ago, I wanted to have a fish tank and I bought one. It's about 140G tank (72"x25"x18" dimension). I also have purchased 2 canister filters for it. As I was doing a research on water cycling for a fish tank, I came across this beautiful Planted tank on youtube. Ever since then, my research was focus more to the planted tank. I have been doing a lot of research including reading articles, watching videos, analyzing people's threat on forums, etc.

I would like to have the high-tech Planted tank. My idea is to have an Iwagumi style (rocks and green carpet with hills). After doing a lot of research on HOW-TO, I believe my last research would be "financial".

So here are my questions:

1) How much does it cost for the CO2 system for this big tank?

You can buy pre-made or build one yourself. either way won't be cheap but building your own will very likely be the cheapest route. you're going to need a big co2 tank too, probably no less than 20lbs unless you want to fill it constantly.

2) How much does it cost for the soil?

again, depends on what you get and how much you want of it to build hills and such... if you buy aquasoil or eco-complete, expect to pay about 30$ a bag and to need a bunch of bags. you can also make your own substrate (mineralized topsoil) but idk how much that would be as i have never made it.
3) How much plant do I need to cover as carpet? and cost?

depends on how fast you want it to fill in. if you don't mind waiting, get less. if you want it to fill in fast, get more. i'd hunt around to find the best deal. some stores sell a little plop of HC for 7$ and you'll be needing a lot more than that. other hobbyists will be a good source of bulk plants for cheap.

4) How much lights does it need? Some info I read 3Watt per gallon?

3wpg is a myth. look at this chart to see what you need. HC is a high light plant http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

5) Is it too big for me to do the project as I am a newbie?

if you're willing to stick with it and do the research, you can certainly pull it off, although i can guarantee there will be some headbanging moments :icon_smil

Your opinion and suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff
answer in quote.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much Vespers for your response. I don't mind the headbanging as long as the project is somewhat successful. Yes, I have been researching and researching and researching. Do you think HC would be best for carpetting? from what I research, some people think it's a headache.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thank you so much Vespers for your response. I don't mind the headbanging as long as the project is somewhat successful. Yes, I have been researching and researching and researching. Do you think HC would be best for carpetting? from what I research, some people think it's a headache.
i really love HC personally, and i think it looks awesome. i've never dealt with it on such a scale though. i think there are a few iwagumis that use it though if you check around in the builds section.

you could also try dwarf hairgrass or glosso.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 10lb CO2 running on a 100 gal at around 30ppm. Lasts me for around 5 months. Just an idea.
Wow, that's pretty long time. How much is 10lbs CO2? When its finished, can it be refilled or get a new tank? sorry for many questions.

i really love HC personally, and i think it looks awesome. i've never dealt with it on such a scale though. i think there are a few iwagumis that use it though if you check around in the builds section.

you could also try dwarf hairgrass or glosso.
Absolutely I love how HC looks. So greennnn:smile: But at the same time I am still trying to find out what's the easiest carpeting to grow and to maintain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.