The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I already have a heavily planted 10 gallon so I thought I'd make my 14 gallon tank into a moss/liverwort only tank. All my mosses and liverworts were collected from a local stream. I thought I'd like some sort of minimalist-looking tank but I'm not sure about how it might turn out in the long run! The tank is now 2 weeks old. These are the specs:

Plants: Liverwort (collected from a local stream so I don't know its name), Java moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri), Christmas moss (Vesicularia montagnei), Singapore moss (Vesicularia dubyana) & Creeping moss (Vesicularia sp).

Fish: 6 Zebra Danios & 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows.

Ferts/Co2: Liquid Co2 & JBL Ferropol weekly plant fertilizer.

Lighting: 40 LED, 3 Watts

Filtration: 110 GPH

Question 1: Would this even work?! Lol... or am I setting up an algae breeding tank?

Question 2: Is this space too small for the Zebra Danios?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is another shot of my tank from a "side" perspective...

I'm also concerned about there being a lack of "break" in the fish's field of view. I've read that this is important so they feel safe. At the moment, they seem to be doing fine and always swim up to me when I approach the tank, and they don't seem stressed at all (Im always on the look-out for something that might be wrong). In fact, they're so comfortable with me being there that they nibble on my arm as I work in the tank! But if it is necessary for me to provide this "break", how can I rectify this while still maintaining the "rocky, mossy, minimalist" look? Any suggestions? Thanks again! :)

G.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
i'm no expert, but i don't see why it wouldn't work. people have just moss tanks that do fine. you could throw in a few shrimp (although i don't know if danios would bother them) to help keep the moss clean

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm no expert, but i don't see why it wouldn't work. people have just moss tanks that do fine. you could throw in a few shrimp (although i don't know if danios would bother them) to help keep the moss clean
I was thinking that and I absolutely love the idea of RCS in my tank especially because the Danios and WCMM are mid/upper level fish and the bottom looks empty... but although the WCMM won't bug the shrimps... the Danios might, and I would really prefer the shrimps out in the open instead of hiding between the rocks.. :icon_neut

G.

·
Registered
187 Posts
you could test the idea of shrimp out with some ghost shrimp because they are pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out, you haven't lost more than a few $

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you could test the idea of shrimp out with some ghost shrimp because they are pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out, you haven't lost more than a few $
Why didn't I think of that?! Great idea, and they're a little more gutsy than CRS! I'll be getting some today!!! :) Thanks!

G

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Amano shrimp are pretty active and can hold their own with most smaller fish. Even had some in a 15g with a breeding pair of kribs once. They were fine until the male went berserk and attacked everything, almost killing his mate. Lost one out of the three shrimp that time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.