The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have purchased this:
To get rid of this infernal algae bloom which is in all my tanks now after I did water changes so I can only assume the recent rains have indeed caused the local water supply to add some kind of chemical which are feeding the Algae as I haven't seen this since I cycled the tanks as new many years ago.
Some claim they have electrocuted themselves and their fish.
So what type of sealant/waterproofing would we recommend to use after I receive it as I will do a complete teardown and reassembly to properly lubricate and seal the unit prior to using it in my tank so am not one of these with dead livestock.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Very clean way to ground. I might just get one!
I've heard decent things about it, obviously nothing bad. The only way to really test it is to play with electricity and water though, which I don't really want to do myself. You could see how much voltage/amps from what distance it grounds to see how effective it would be. My guess is that, if it is next to the UV, it will ground the stray voltage from the unit fairly well. But if there is an absolute failure, it won't be enough. But you'll probably trip the socket if it is a GFI. Well, maybe. I'm no electrician.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should trip the GFI yes in the event of a catastrophic failure.
It's a nice alternative it would appear to having wires and electrodes everywhere.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
So I have purchased this:
To get rid of this infernal algae bloom which is in all my tanks now after I did water changes so I can only assume the recent rains have indeed caused the local water supply to add some kind of chemical which are feeding the Algae as I haven't seen this since I cycled the tanks as new many years ago.
Amazon.com : Super UP-23 13W UV Sterilizer Submersible Pump, 211gph : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies
Some claim they have electrocuted themselves and their fish.
So what type of sealant/waterproofing would we recommend to use after I receive it as I will do a complete teardown and reassembly to properly lubricate and seal the unit prior to using it in my tank so am not one of these with dead livestock.
I don't see any specific issues with the UV unit, just check it out carefully before use. It's real easy to break the internal glass tube inside.

Have you tested your tap water and your tank for nitrates and phosphates? You might find that your tap water varies in quality with the seasons or the ratio of nitrates to phosphates is off. Usually you want a raito of 10:1.

If the source of your water gets a lot of runoff from fields it could be loaded with nitrate and phosphate. It will not hurt you, but can sometimes really cause an algae bloom.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I haven't tested for phosphates but I believe that's the case as it's a relatively new issue.
And oddly it seems to be slowly clearing up on its own.
Guess I bought that for nothing lol.
Oh well, I will have it for next time. Not that there has ever been another time in at least 4-6 years but all is well that ends well.
Its possible the plants are finally taking in enough nutrients its starving the algae bloom?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That uv sterilizer works. I battled the dreaded green water for a month before buying this last week. Been off 4 days and hasn't returned. I did a water change last night...well see if the new water clears proper when the lights come on.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That uv sterilizer works. I battled the dreaded green water for a month before buying this last week. Been off 4 days and hasn't returned. I did a water change last night...well see if the new water clears proper when the lights come on.

My green water is back all tanks again.
Now awaiting delivery with great anticipation. Again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update

Hope you have the same luck I did.

I was on the fence about buying one for a good while. I think this may be the dirty little secret no one wants to talk about.

Honestly the tank just needed more plants...however I bought the unit, cleared the tank beyond anything I ever expected and added a lot more plants.

After a week and a water change later it is looking solid.
I'm thinking that I have a decent balance now. We'll cross our fingers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hope you have the same luck I did.

I was on the fence about buying one for a good while. I think this may be the dirty little secret no one wants to talk about.

Honestly the tank just needed more plants...however I bought the unit, cleared the tank beyond anything I ever expected and added a lot more plants.

After a week and a water change later it is looking solid.
I'm thinking that I have a decent balance now. We'll cross our fingers.
I know I need more plants but I have tons.
Its just they are from cuttings etc.
Waiting game till they grow in.
My twisted vals finally are giving off runner plants and same for amazon swords etc but in the meantime greenwater hell.
Your tank looks amazing! Guess they do work!
I just did about 250g worth of water changes and 6 filter deep cleans so tired. Same grey bacterial bloom which by tomorrow will look like green pea soup.
Cant wait for the units to get here.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wife texted and says the unit has arrived so once I am off work oh it's on pea soup water!
You vs me and the sterilizer!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts

It's hard to tell from the pictures but when I look at my tank from a far, it looks pretty clear. No cloudiness or anything. However, if I get really close to the tank, I see small particles floating around in the tank. Does this clear that up?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If it's particulate matter then no.
That's your filters job.
If it is like grey water like a bacteria bloom then it should.

So I took the sterilizer apart and used some silicone grease I had left from my aircraft electrician days to lube up the o-ring and threads of the retaining nut to waterproof them.
she's in the water now and holy crap glad I got the newest model with variable flow control as that is a serious pump.
Oh, also removed the plastic transport protection from the bulb.
Always take things apart don't just plug them in.
I wouldn't have known that was there if I hadn't disassembled it first.
Oh and ignore the sunken breeder net it's keeping my moss from going all over temporarily.
So this is the mess we start with I'll take more in a day or so.

Looks OK right? WRONG lol. Check out this soup.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
3 days of the JUP23 so far. Oh it's workin baby. Clearly the people opinioning the flow is too fast or the power too low on these units to be of any use are stating uninformed incorrect opinion Period. Witness the photographic evidence there has been no water change.
Thanks to all that encouraged me to buy one! Probably could improve the 1st 55g even further but lets move on to another tank.
Oh and I am saving the WORST tank for last. It's a green monster! Makes these look crystal clear lol.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Second tank this a small 20 tall.
Lets see what happens.

Annndddd result of 2 days on sterilizer

Reactions: easternlethal

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now lastly.... I give you the green monster....

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All of my tanks were mysteriously stricken with it about 2 months ago tried massive water changes day or so it was back.
This 13W UV sterilizer WORKS no matter what the naysayers say about water speed, UV wattage blah blah blah.
I give you photographic evidence. NONE of those tanks were water changes. All and any differences were brought about by the sterilizer. Opinions are just that opinions. I give you evidence :)
And I am ready this weekend now to show what used to be the green monster.
It was clean some days ago (Tannins aside from new driftwood) but I haven't got pics yet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
All of my tanks were mysteriously stricken with it about 2 months ago tried massive water changes day or so it was back.
This 13W UV sterilizer WORKS no matter what the naysayers say about water speed, UV wattage blah blah blah.
I give you photographic evidence. NONE of those tanks were water changes. All and any differences were brought about by the sterilizer. Opinions are just that opinions. I give you evidence :)
And I am ready this weekend now to show what used to be the green monster.
It was clean some days ago (Tannins aside from new driftwood) but I haven't got pics yet.
I bought my first UV sterilizer almost 8 years ago when I first started keeping discus. In addition to health aspect of it, they make tanks ridiculously clear. I'll never go without one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.