The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
April 2013 (pic) before I found this forum, before I knew how to fertilize, before I had CO2, before I added flow, and when I had a lot of algae and plant deficiencies.

[/URL]

April 2014 (video) - slowly turning this tank into a dutch inspired look. Need to work on a lot still. I've had great success with just a single Eheim 2217 filter and a couple power heads going all this time but I'm looking into an Fluval FX6 (maybe). I given away a ton of plants, trade a fair amount, and sold enough trimmings to help pay off baby doctor bills, get more plants, and get a filter ! One of the few hobbies that can be somewhat self sustaining (financially). I look how this piece of art changes weekly too. Many thanks to all of the help / knowledge from the folks on this forum !

I need to work on getting the video editing color right....& tank photography skills up.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdtsMMf43PY[/url]

Sorry I had it as private video setting. How do I post the link here so the video shows up rather than just the link like I see some folks doing ?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry. I think I fixed it...let me know if I didn't. I'm not good with this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
looks very natural. very nice set up indeed, that otto is doing work. very nice telanthera to the left

·
Registered
453 Posts
Awesome! I saw the title and then looked at the first pic, and I apologize but I was like "that's it after a year...sheesh :|". Lol, but then I saw the video and comment below and, the transformation is inspiring id have to say. I just found this forum a month ago and already my 29 gallon has changed dramatically, nowhere near where I want it, but it's coming. And I have a 75 and 120 gallon that I am starting the right way. +1 for TPT being a priceless resource!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
Great looking tank. Wish my tank looked like that. What kind of lighting are you using.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great looking tank. Wish my tank looked like that. What kind of lighting are you using.
I was using (2) 36" Coralife 2x96W 6700K but switched to (4) 10,000K BML LEDs that are the 75 degree optical angle of the 30" fixtures then I have (2) of BML nano fixtures they built for me to lay on top of my glass center brace. I actually bought my BML when they were still called the "Planted Tank Spectrum" (now called 10,000K). I should've bought either (2) 72" fixtures or (4) 36" fixtures instead of the 30". I went LED as I was tired of replacing the bulbs in the Coralifes at $50 per bulb shipped and they would last long before the color & light spectrum was off.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was using (2) 36" Coralife 2x96W 6700K but switched to (4) 10,000K BML LEDs that are the 75 degree optical angle of the 30" fixtures then I have (2) of BML nano fixtures they built for me to lay on top of my glass center brace. I actually bought my BML when they were still called the "Planted Tank Spectrum" (now called 10,000K). I should've bought either (2) 72" fixtures or (4) 36" fixtures instead of the 30". I went LED as I was tired of replacing the bulbs in the Coralifes at $50 per bulb shipped and they would last long before the color & light spectrum was off.

How much is 1 of those 30" 10000k 70 degree BML's cost? If you don't mind me asking of course. I'd like to get one for my 29gallon once I switch to a high tech setup...also why the 10000k and not the Dutch or the takagumi or whatever it's called?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much is 1 of those 30" 10000k 70 degree BML's cost? If you don't mind me asking of course. I'd like to get one for my 29gallon once I switch to a high tech setup...also why the 10000k and not the Dutch or the takagumi or whatever it's called?

Here's the link to pricing out their fixtures. Also note that they are a sponsor of this forum and there are a bunch of threads regarding their fixtures and even a dedicate thread so research it out.

http://www.buildmyled.com/10000k-planted/

They had not yet developed the Dutch 6300K or any of the other fixtures when I purchased my a year ago. They didn't even call my 10,000K that yet...it was called their "Planted Tank Spectrum" back then. Their only other option was the "Show Tank" at that time. Now they also have even higher PAR output options (would likely be way too much for my set up though as they are more for deeper tanks than my 24" height tank.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here's the link to pricing out their fixtures. Also note that they are a sponsor of this forum and there are a bunch of threads regarding their fixtures and even a dedicate thread so research it out.

http://www.buildmyled.com/10000k-planted/

They had not yet developed the Dutch 6300K or any of the other fixtures when I purchased my a year ago. They didn't even call my 10,000K that yet...it was called their "Planted Tank Spectrum" back then. Their only other option was the "Show Tank" at that time. Now they also have even higher PAR output options (would likely be way too much for my set up though as they are more for deeper tanks than my 24" height tank.

Thank you!..and just wondering, if you were buying now, what would you go with. Still the 10000k? Or a mixture?..I was thinking 2 Dutch syle 24" and 2 10000k 24" for my 48"...I see they have the xb setups or whatever, higher output versions, I'm guessing these are the higher PAR versions you referred to, would you say they are too much for a 22-24" deep tank?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just did my weekly water change and some minor trimming. Mainly wanted to post these pics since I finally figured out how to get my white balance a little closer to true on this point & shoot camera. Ignore the floating mass of amazon swords (if you can even make it out)...

[/URL][img

[/URL]
[/URL]

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you!..and just wondering, if you were buying now, what would you go with. Still the 10000k? Or a mixture?..I was thinking 2 Dutch syle 24" and 2 10000k 24" for my 48"...I see they have the xb setups or whatever, higher output versions, I'm guessing these are the higher PAR versions you referred to, would you say they are too much for a 22-24" deep tank?

I would've answered your post in my last post w/ my pics but not sure how to do all of that in the same post.

Anyways, if I had it to do all over again I'd probably go with a blend of the Dutch 6300K & my 10,000K's but I'd be sure to get them in their new 3 channel controllable fixtures. When they launch their new auto dimmer / controller (hopefully very soon) your would be able to adjust the colors as you wish and even set the blues only for a cool moon light inspire look at night. I'm mainly wanting the auto dimmer for the sun-up / sun-down function & reducing power when on vacations.

I probably would not pay the extra price for the XB versions personally as I've got my regular powered fixtures up about 6" off the top of the tank and getting ~100 PAR at the substrate (according to BML modeling estimates). Then again you would have the ability to reduce the power with the dimmer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would've answered your post in my last post w/ my pics but not sure how to do all of that in the same post.

Anyways, if I had it to do all over again I'd probably go with a blend of the Dutch 6300K & my 10,000K's but I'd be sure to get them in their new 3 channel controllable fixtures. When they launch their new auto dimmer / controller (hopefully very soon) your would be able to adjust the colors as you wish and even set the blues only for a cool moon light inspire look at night. I'm mainly wanting the auto dimmer for the sun-up / sun-down function & reducing power when on vacations.

I probably would not pay the extra price for the XB versions personally as I've got my regular powered fixtures up about 6" off the top of the tank and getting ~100 PAR at the substrate (according to BML modeling estimates). Then again you would have the ability to reduce the power with the dimmer.

Thanks for the info...I think I will wait til they launch the auto dimmer as well, I've got a good t5 so I'm not in a rush, and also thanks for the 3 channel recommendation, I didn't know about that either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts