The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 130wattCF ligh over my 20H aquirum. I am currently running a DIY yeast bottle for my CO2. Would upgrading my CO2 to a pressurized system increase my growth rate?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
LIke Rex asked, what are you getting out of the DIY?

In terms of growth it would be up to what you are getting co2 wise now but pressurized would be more consistent and controllable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
130W is generally too much light for a 20 gallon, regardless of CO2 setup. Is it a 2 X 65W fixture? You'd be better off running 1 bulb at a time, each for half of the photoperiod.
Or be sure you have lots of plants jammed into the tank. I run the same setup. After a hard prune I usually only run one lamp until the tank fills in. When I ran two I got algae even w/ EI and presurized CO2. And be really careful you don't run out of CO2. That happened to me and I am still battlling the BBA.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would i be able to messure if i have 30ppm of CO2. I am familiar with the PH-KH CO2 ratio chart but that is measured in ML/L. Is there a method of conversion?

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
cause i have 180watts over my ~18 gallon tank and it looks awesome, wanna stand in my living room? or just look here....http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/27554-60cm-cube-garden-andrew-yaros.html

the last pics are growth that has occured under 180watts... the 70watt diy MH is not on, only cause it makes getting the exopsure on the pic so hard for photos..

you make a blanket statement that is so flawed, its only value to me is comedic. but to others out there who dont know better, it sounds like you might actually have some idea what you are talking about, when in fact you dont...

why can't plants take that much light? have you ever stared at the sun? do you think even on a cloudy day a measely 130watts is comparable to the energy put out be the sun?

im sorry to come off so negative, but im at a loss to understand why people are so willing to believe that 3wpg is the most the plants can take. why not test out the theory for yourself, and if you still find it to be true.. then we can have an actual discussion, and you can cite sepcific instances to support your claim, as opposed to simply shoveling more hearsay as hard evidence to back your claim.

·
Registered
784 Posts
aquanut415 said:
cause i have 180watts over my ~18 gallon tank and it looks awesome, wanna stand in my living room?
OK, terrific.

I speak from experience, research, and advice from respected members on this forum such as Jason Baliban and Wö£fëñxXx. I said 130W is generally too much light for a 20 gallon. That's not saying it can't be done, but there's no real reason for it in most cases. 65W over a 20 will grow anything you throw at it, and give a lot more leeway for inconsistencies in CO2 and fertilizers.

I had lots of algae problems when attempting to burn 130W over my 29 gallon for the full photoperiod, that all dwindled once I reduced my lighting to only 65W but I guess YMMV.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
How would i be able to messure if i have 30ppm of CO2. I am familiar with the PH-KH CO2 ratio chart but that is measured in ML/L. Is there a method of conversion?
It's the same thing. No conversion is needed.

130 watts over a 20 gallon is possible. But it's a LOT more work than 65 watts would be. And things can/will go downhill extremely fast if you slack off the care and feeding for a couple of days.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
And things can/will go downhill extremely fast if you slack off the care and feeding for a couple of days.

i hate to disagree with a curmedgeon, but i do. i dont dose that tank any more than 1x a week with 3 pumps of brighty K... and i do water changes when i get a chance.. which is like every other week.

i guess its all relative....but i would argue that if your CO2 if off, things will go bad faster than with too much light and good co2.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Please elaborate on why you think my statement is completely false.
thats what I run over my 20 L. and it is just fine and the plants have wonderfull coloration.
I run 65W for a part of the day and then for 1/3rd of my day cycle I run full blast 130w. I douse 3-4 days a week. and I water change maybe once a month.
To answer the original question, Yes you will see MUCH better growth and consistancy with pressurized and that much light.

As stated you HAVE to be on top of your CO2 but you still have some leeway for ferts. lately I've slacked off on my ferts because we have someone staying with us that is in the room where my 20 is. But i've not had any major algae outbreaks since I upgraded to pressurizd. Just amazing growth.

Running 130 over a DIY setup... you're going to have green sludge. Unless you're getting pretty eleborate with your DIY and religious about swapping it out. It is a time bomb waiting to happen IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for finally answering my question black. I have not yet seen any "green Sludge" in my tank. Yet for a while i did have a rigorous battle with hair algea witch i think has finally dwindled to an end for the most part. What kind of pressurized system would you reccomend?

And as for the haters on the 130watts in a 20H my plant growth is beutiful and the bright light is gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have 192w over my 30g and I had 96w over my 20g

photo-period was broken down to a "Noon Burst" so that half the light was on for about 7-8hrs a day and all of it from 1-3hrs in the middle.

zero algae problems other than a little GSA here and there but excellent growth and growth rate!! Co2 and Ferts was a must though!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks for finally answering my question black. I have not yet seen any "green Sludge" in my tank. Yet for a while i did have a rigorous battle with hair algea witch i think has finally dwindled to an end for the most part. What kind of pressurized system would you reccomend?

And as for the haters on the 130watts in a 20H my plant growth is beutiful and the bright light is gorgeous.
No problem. read thru my 20gal journal and you can see from start to finish how my tanks evolved.
I started with 36w and DIY CO2. It was ok. I upped to 65w It was better. I wanted more. I upgraded to the 130w. disaster. Added pressurized Co2. Awesome results.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.