The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I have a 130 Gal. tank that is being setup for plants, and there will be a turtle in the tank. This poses a few problems, mainly because I am really trying to increase the aesthetics of my tank, considering this will be on display in my main room.

So the tank is 48" across.
The only light I NEED is a UVB Bulb for the Turtle, I am currently using T-8 Reptisun 10.0 - 48".

I am looking at a compact flouresent setup with a retrofit of the Reptisun bulb.
I really like the look of the corallife compact fixtures, with the adjustable mounting arms, this sounds great for me. Yet still posed with the problem of the UVB bulb.

I already have the Basking Lamp that is a clip on, which work, yet am currently entertaining other offers as well.

Of course all the while, I need ample wattage for my plants, yet I feel the compacts will provide that.

Advice on all in one lighting fixture setups are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
AHsupply has great retrofit kits. And they sell basic wooden enclosures with which to install your fixtures in, all for a good price.

Excuse my ignorance, I know nothing about turtles, but won't they tear up plants?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after MUCH trial and error I have found plants that my turtle doesn't care to eat. So they are doing quite well, and so is he, thus the reason for the upgrade from his current 55.

As a matter of fact, I checked out AH Supply. I'm looking at going for a T shaped fixture.

In the main length of the T I will put in some 55 watt kits, 4 would be ideal really, and at the top part of the T I will mount a smaller version of the Reptisun 10.0, like a 24", along with a socket for the basking bulb.

Should work out OK, and one fixture to rule them all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahhh

I just switched to T5

Looking at this retrofit kit
http://www.specialty-lights.com/960090.html

With one or two of these bulbs
http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/PROD/T5/FP28865

So two of the 6500K

And then what for the other spots, I was thinking getting 2 kits, so four lights total. Plus the reptisun and the ceramic heating element.

So that would equal 216W over my 130 gal moderately planted tank.
Sufficient? Or would a third kit do well? Making it 324 total watts.

I am having quite a bit of trouble finding a single tube flourescent retrofit kit. I have so far only found the corallife dual tube. I'm thinking I'll go to home depot and check it out there, might be one there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at that, but then is it possible to retrofit a single T-12 tube onto those fixtures? That is the only reason I haven't gone the route of a completed fixture.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, here is what I have settled upon

This fixture with tank stand and cover
http://www.specialty-lights.com/960035.html

Filled with one 10k bulb, one of the UVB bulbs (still trying to find one of those zillas for purchase) and 2 6700k bulbs

I chose this fixture over the nova extreme because of the individual reflectors, versus the nova's single reflector, plus this unit has no fans, which I really like.

So once I find a zilla bulb I'm good to go.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Be careful not to get the horticultural version, but the aquatic version which has two on off and two powercords. Great light choice. You'll love it. Has a great ballast and reflector. You might consider getting the Griplock systems light hanger system. Much easier to get in and out of the tank. Only caveat is you have to hang it from ceiling joists. Its very minimalist looking too.
I think Reefgeek.com still sells them. If not Sunlight Supply (the manufactore) will...

You can save some money by having a local glass shop cut you an acrylic shield, which I recommend for splash protection.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reccomendation on getting local cutting done. I'll look into that. As for ebay. I priced out the same fixture with mount and cover and it actually came out to be $15 more than buying from specialtylights.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.