The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And so it begins....

Setting up a 130 gallon tank for my turtle, which currently lives in a 55 gallon. I have ordered most parts, yet no C02 parts as I'll be running the tank through cycling as those parts arrive.

Here is a list of the parts

130 gallon glass tank
DIY Stand
Eheim 2080 Filter
Theo 400w heater
DIY Inline heater/reactor
4x54w TEK
2x6700k Current USA
2x10k Current USA
Coralife Dual Timer
AQ Plants Regulator
10# C02 Tank
AM Pinpoint PH Controller
Eco Complete

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few parts have arrived this week, here are some photos of this filter....this thing is HUGE, really look forward to seeing it perform.

Finishing the stand today, hopefully will be filling the tank up as well. Waiting on the heyco adapter part to arrive....it has taken some time, but it was free, so whats the worry.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no it is a RES. The LFS by me has a softshelled there, really cool looking, odd that they have it in the same tank as a snapper though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
End of Day Wrapup

Well, went to pickup the tank today, all looked good there, unfortunately though, the eco complete hadn't came in yet, nor did the heyco part. So, this pushes the actual water part until next weekend.

At any rate, here are some photos as I finished up the stand, and brought it home.

This here is the stand, with the eheim and reactor/heater just chilling in there, big time.

Some parts for the filter/stand, the wooden piece is a top mount, it sits on top of the stand, and houses the bottom of the tank, help distribute weight, and hides the black border on the tank.

One filter, all this media 8L of substrat PRO, 4L of Efimech, 1 fine pad, 1 coarse pad.

Reactor/heater mounted in its location

In its final resting spot. I had to make a few changes to the exhaust tube, it was too short so I used one of the tubes from the intake to extend it, now it fits just right.

Tomorrow I get some proper fittings for my reactor (I bought 3/4" ID fittings, needed OD), then wait till thursday when the shop opens again to pickup the ECO.

·
Registered
221 Posts
End of Day Wrapup

Well, went to pickup the tank today, all looked good there, unfortunately though, the eco complete hadn't came in yet, nor did the heyco part. So, this pushes the actual water part until next weekend.
Are you getting Eco Complete because you're going to try and grow submerged plants? Best of luck, but the cynic in me combined with my experience so far says that probably won't end well. Here's hoping you get it working though, because I'll be more than happy to try and duplicate your success.

I've had great luck with terrestrial plants, but anything I try to grow underwater gets immediately torn out of the groung, eaten and/or shredded, and then lodged in the filter intake.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It took some time, but I have my current setup planted. This was after much trial and error.

He tears through anacharis, duckweed, sword plants, hairgrass, and another floating plant which the name escapes me now.

I have been having luck with Crypts, and banana plant.

I'll probably really push my luck, I'm quite sure he'll tear through any kind of moss, so I'll get something cheap that may be able to grow faster than he can eat it. I'm also looking at a carpet plant, maybe glosso, with the same principle in mind.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was able to get some plumbing done today, just waiting on the heater/heyvo part to come in tomorrow.

Here we have the input of the reactor

Full internal plumbing shot, you can see the tank, filter input, and the CO2 input.

Quick shot after a leak test, after putting this wood in here, its quite clear more is needed. Or something to help scape with...any ideas?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WooHoo!! The heyco parts have arrived!

Was able to put the heater into the reactor.

Also ordered cork, silicone, and coconut bark for the under construction basking area.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yeah, I would be interested to see if the turtle doesn't thrash up the submerged plants. We'll see. The setup looks great! I really like that heater screwed into the reactor piece. Any ideas on plant species, both for underwater and land?
-Ryan

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No the stand is plenty strong, all joints are made with 1/2" dado joints all around, then biscuits and glued together. It gives it a very minimalist look, no screws or anything to patch and paint over. It is all Oak plywood with a birch veneer as well, so its plenty strong!!!

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Guys, remember, he's making a turtle tank, it won't be full.

boasist, nice job on the wood work, sleek.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If its for a RES, chances are it will be very close to full. I think its a valid concern with such a large tank, and worth thinking about now, as opposed to when its full.

Yeah I probably will go about 100 gallons of water, meaning about the top 6 inches will be unfilled.

At any rate, I'm quite confident that the stand is very solid and will not pose any issues.

On the other hand, my reactor has a leak, it is on the lower portion of the coupler there, will have to reseal.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
days work

Ok,

So I removed the basking platform stands that were there.

I was a little concerned when I saw several threads about buying the 100 pack of razor blades...you will get cut...this will take some time...etc.

I tried something new and picked up a glass finishing tool. My dear sweet jesus, it worked like a charm. After making the initial cut on top to remove the black bar, simply taking this too along the glass removed the large remaining silicone spread. Then using light pressure on the corners of the tool removed all of the very thin film left on the glass. I bought the xtra pack of blades, didn't even open them. Got the job done in one blade, no issues. Very pleased. What I thought would take me an hour or so ended up taking 15 minutes. After a follow up with some acetone, the job was done. Of course, thanks so much for the guidance and such in this forum.

On with the photo progress

Here is the tool I suggest you all at least TRY when resealing a tank, building, or like some of us here, making mods to the tank. For this price it can't be beat.

One of the actual attatched black bars that I removed later.

After making the initial cut, gently pry the piece off, you can hear it coming off, so ease up, use your strength wisely.

TA DA! Now we see that silicone bead that will soon become this new wonder tools dinner.

Shot through the glass after both are complete from the acetone wash. Some water spots exist here, yet they are in a different area. The glass is ready.

So a nice pick me up day after yesterdays leak from the reactor.
Actually, no water or anything will actually be touching these areas, so if these areas were joints, I would have probably taken more time to be 100+1% sure that this glass was ready for a new seal. Although I'm pretty confident now, when over 100 gallons of water are at risk to come giving me a new floor, we tend to take some time to double check these things.

I spoke to the supplier of the cork, and they just got a new shipment in, and are able to send me one giant cork slab to cover the basking area (just like natx did on his 40g). So I am looking forward to getting that for a weekend project.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.