The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
0430212052.jpg

馃槅 they keep growing... The leaves around them have been releasing small oxygen bubbles but these 2 just keep growing... I'm way too amused by this. Never had the time to stop and watch like this before so I'm enjoying myself.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
0501211641.jpg

Day 18
Ammo- 0- .25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- just a smidge above 0 (little bit darker than bright yellow but nowhere near 5)

Things are seemingly back on track. Did a water change and will start dosing every other day again if things keep up. Gary has been working diligently to clean my sand lately and it's made me very happy. The only patches of algae I've gotten so far have been on the glass and sand. Gary put a HUGE dent in the patch in the sand. He's (or she) is a good little snail.

More of the L inclinata tips are getting orange tips.
16199024662156486394888139902559.jpg

I think it looks pretty.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
0502211951~2.jpg

I have a baby fish... I know it doesn't look like anything but a smidge, but I've been watching it swim around... I don't know if it will live but yay!! A baby fish!!! Thank you @mostly moss !!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
16200026903687761829310369330638.jpg

Day 19

Ammo- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate-0-5
Ph- 6

Took out some of the water lettuce moved to my turtle tank, it was having some issues in this cube but it absolutely adores my 30 gallon musk turtle tank. I'm going to have to put the rest in my turtle tub if my latest contraption to keep my cats away doesn't work. I'm hoping the baby fish lives through the night so I can go tomorrow and get some fry food. I wasn't expecting a fry quite so soon, but I'm happy. I'm not doing a water change tonight, but will do one tomorrow, along with wiping down the glass as my diatoms are definitely building up. Added some phos and potassium. Gary's still cruising around the substrate eating dead plant matter like a good little snail. Happy this little cube is coming together so well. Will need to replace bio co2 soon. Ordering tomorrow. I'm gonna give it a try. I found it online for $10 for a refill pack, which I can afford.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
0503212050.jpg

Day 20
Ammo- 0-.25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- less than 5

Readings taken before water change. Diatoms are starting to build up. I'll be cleaning the glass on Wednesday when I do the next water change, I'm going to let it build up on the wood and rocks a little bit for the shrimp. I'm going to have to clean the filter, there's some plant matter in there, I'll do it in Wednesday. My arm is super sore today- got dose #2 yesterday and, yea, I can barely lift my arm. I only see the little fry from time to time. Saw it early this morning then couldn't find it all day. Just did a water change and it decided to come back out. Put in a single pulverized granule of fry food- once it hit the slight current the fry gave chase. I think there's more than one but I can not confirm it yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
0414211855.jpg
0421212041.jpg
0504212041_HDR.jpg

Day 21
Ammo- 0-.25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0

No water change today. Baby fishy is doing good, Gary is doing good. Looking at my week to week pics and noticing how much my plants really have grown. The hair grass is setting out runners
0504212040_HDR.jpg

0504212040a_HDR.jpg

and diatoms are definitely collecting on the glass. Scrubbing down the glass and rinsing filter in water change water tomorrow. I honestly didn't expect to see this much growth in 3 weeks. I'm definitely impressed by this kit. I think my cousin paid $250 for it. Came with everything except hardscape and water conditioner- oh and I bought the sand too. The only problem I have is having to order refills for the bio co2 unit, which I could just make it as it is just sugar/ yeast gel, but I want to "test" this product combo over the course of this year and refills would be $10 a month so it's still affordable. I'm pleasantly surprised so far. My only bumps in the road are of my own doing, everything else has been text book perfect start up/ cycle. I always expect the worst with packaged kits but they've come a long way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
0505211921.jpg

Day 22
Ammo-.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- smidge over 0

50% water change removed water lettuce as it was struggling. Left the water spangles as they're doing great. Little fishy and Gary are doing good. Scrubbed the glass and rinsed the filter media.

Water lettuce as doing absolutely wonderful in my turtle tanks. I think it's a combination of flow and nutrients doing them in in my planted tanks, sigh. At least my other plants are exploding, my parameters are doing good, my snail and my little fishy are happy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
0506212103.jpg

Day 23
Ammo-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

Kind of wondering if I have too much light. My hubby took apart the broken light and managed to rewire it so it works so I put both of them on there so I have more even light coverage but I think I need to bump up my ferts. Treated the start of thread algae with excel and manually removed (was very easy and a tiny patch). I'm pretty sure the aquasoil is sapping nutrients from the column. My plants are growing great and the algae started on a bit of dead hydrocotyle so I just took the patch out put it in a cup, removed the dead part, squirted with some excel and left it for a minute. Pulled the little bit of algae that was left and replanted. I'm going to start dosing full strength on my next water change Saturday and add a half dose of phos and potassium tomorrow but I have no nitrogen, sigh. Maybe I'll try to find some tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
0507212154.jpg

Day 24

Ammo- 0-.25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0

All is going well. Gary is putting a dent in the diatoms. I'm thinking about adding some ghost shrimp soon just to dip my toes in. I might give it a shot in a couple weeks. My mistakes didn't put me too far behind (4 days). Once again the clock starts over. If, with scheduled water changes, my parameters stay stable for a week I'll feel comfortable with adding the ghosts.

Baby fishy is doing great. I gave it some hikari fry powder and it took to it. I'm pretty sure I've only got 1. I will be sourcing more over this summer.

I've gotta get these lights on timers soon because it's time for me to go to camp for the summer.... Only 20 minutes away from my house, but there's a 4 acre pond (natural) in my front yard, a heron that fishes about 50 feet away from my front door and frogs that breed in my doggie pool 馃榿 I come home daily to tend to my animals and clean up after and check in on my disabled dad. Busy busy busy...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
0508211731.jpg

Day 25
Ammo-.25
Nitrite- maybe a little above 0 but not .25
Nitrate- 5

I may have gone a little heavy on the hikari yesterday. 3 days between water changes and I kill it in a night. Lol oh well. 60% water change. Baby fishy and Gary are doing fine. Will not be feeding for a couple days. L inclinata is losing the older leaves but it's growing pretty well.
0508211733_HDR.jpg

I think it's looking pretty decent. Waiting on my refill co2.

Seems like I love tripping myself up lol. If it weren't for myself I would be completely done my cycle by now 馃槄 I suck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hey- just observing and I saw a copepod. Looked closer and saw quite a few. Don't know how I got them, but yay!! I don't have to feed and pollute now. I just have to wait for the algae that may come due to "spike". I've done worse with hardly any repercussions... Just takes a lot of work...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
0509212021.jpg

Day 26
Ammo- 0-.25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5

No water change tonight. Thinking I need to up my phosphates as I've got a little algae starting to show up on my weaker plants and my nitrates are now at 5 and my phos is still 0. Everything's growing like weeds, though. The h tripartita 'japan' is being a little tricky but it's definitely growing. The l inclinata 'crystal' is growing fast but it's a little curly, colors are gorgeous on it and it pearls consistently 3 hours after lights on. I think I may have too much light to be supported by lean dosing.
0509212022_HDR.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
0510212021.jpg

Day 27
Ammo- .25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5

Wasn't going to do a water change but there was a bunch of particles in the water and I couldn't stand it. Did a water change, dosed a standard dose of plant elixir.

Noticed a lot of blades of hair grass popping up all over the place. Very happy there. Baby fishy and Gary continue to do well. Nothing really new to report. Typical start up algae and bumps in the road. Waiting on the co2 kit to arrive... Still... I really hate the postal service around here lol.
0510212022_HDR.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
0511211933.jpg

Day 28
Ammo- 0-.25
Nitrite- barely over 0
Nitrate- 5

Did another water change because there's still particles floating around. Shoved some poly floss in part of the filter tube after rinsing. Vacuumed up what I could in the 50% water change. Honestly everything's going well but these stupid white copepod looking things... Lots of them... Sigh. My hair grass is definitely carpeting and quickly. It's kind of fuzzy, though, I chocked it up to diatoms, comes off easily enough with vacuuming.
0511211933_HDR.jpg

Will be wiping down the glass either tomorrow or the next day depending on what the tests look like tomorrow and when I next change the water

Registered
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
0512211915.jpg

Day 29
Ammo- trace
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10

I just don't have it in me to scrub and water change this tank right now and parameters are perfectly fine for the night. I'll do it in the morning. Cleaned my 40 gallon and did a 75% water change do I'm wiped.
0512211915_HDR.jpg

Algae has arrived in full force. Will spot treat tomorrow. Still waiting on co2 refill... Order has been stalled a couple states away for 3 days now. Sigh. Have to scrub the glass on this tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
0414211855.jpg
0420212045.jpg
0428212039.jpg
0507212154.jpg
0513211921a.jpg

Day 30
Ammo- trace
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- trace

Readings taken before water change. 50% water change done along with scrubbing the glass. Looking through my pics and I have to say- the hair grass has definitely filled in well. I am very happy about that. I was worried because I had to use such huge clumps. The tc I got was way too much to plant individually.

Definitely think my issues with algae was my co2 running out. They say a month or more but I think it's more like just under a month. The "reactor" (bio co2) was filled with water when I removed the old bottle so it obviously ran out. It wasn't like that a few days ago so, yea, it makes perfect sense.
0513211922_HDR.jpg

Wiped the diatoms off the s repens and removed some dead lower leaves from the l inclinata. Took a turkey baster to the hair grass and got most of the crap out of it. Nice and tidy now. Gary and baby fishy are happy. Pretty sure I'm done cycling completely now but I'm not gonna risk it. I'll give it 2 more weeks with good parameters and I'll start dabbling in using shrimp king to get my hardness appropriate. I think I can borrow a tds pen from the co op. Maybe I'll pick up the bolivian ram pair for my 40b when I'm there. So many things to do lol...

41 - 60 of 60 Posts