The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 10 long years of not having an aquarium, it’s finally time for me to return to the hobby. My last tank was a 72g bow front and while I loved it, I wanted something easier to manage this time around. I am relearning some things and figuring others as we go; no professional here. Onto the journal....
This time around I was dead set on going high tech as to not be constrained with some of the limitations my equipment had previously. Luckily, Craigslist shined its countenance upon me with a package that was too good to pass up. Someone was getting rid of their 12 gallon long setup. Having never seen this size tank, I loved the dimensions and small size. The tank came with:
12 gallon long low-iron glass aquarium
Twinstar 900E dimmable 36” light
UNS Delta 60 filter with glass lily pipes
ZRDR single stage powered regulator
Inline ceramic CO2 diffuser
10lbs of Seiryu stones
Test kits, Easy Green, accessories, etc.

I purchased a Colbalt Neo-Therm 100W heater (we like the house cold) to keep the tank warm.

Perfect setup for me to get started. Brought it all home and when I got time finally set it up.
Rectangle Wood Floor Display case Window

And that’s the last clear water I’ve seen. 😂
Decided to commit to growing plants by choosing ADA Amazonia Aquasoil. I’ve never had an active substrate and it’s been very messy so far but I’m figuring it out.
Window Wood Grey House Building

Sleeve Font Metal Advertising Book cover

Hood Automotive design Floor Bumper Flooring

In hindsight, I would have done everything to not disturb the Aquasoil after adding water to the tank. Lesson learned! Hardscape dry then gently add water or you’ll get to have a couple weeks of cloudy like me. Enough water changes and settling and it’ll get better.
World Rectangle Wood Gas Landmark

Got my equipment setup in the meantime.
Gas Plumbing Plumbing fixture Machine Plumbing fitting

Tap Liquid Hood Automotive lighting Water

Gadget Adapter Audio equipment Cable Ac adapter

After posting here about being unsatisfied with my aquascape (or lack thereof), I stopped by my closest LFS (3 hours away) while I was in town anyway. Picked up some more stone and dreamed about different fish and plants. They were well stocked with healthy fish and plants. Forum member Allentan97 posted a starter plant package for sale and it looked perfect for my tank. It included (from left to right in the tank):
Hydrocotyle sp. “Japan”
Bacopa carolinia
Rotala rotundifolia “green”
Ludwigia super red
Rotala rotundifolia “H’ra”
Dwarf sag. (one tiny stem!)
Rotala Nanjanshan
I really hope everything makes it and thrives. Anyway, time to make a mess again:
Plant Gas Grass Reef Fish

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Filled with water and full of plants:
Water Rectangle Plant Grass Gas

After a water change the next day:
Plant Rectangle Purple Organism Pet supply

Another day and water change.
Vertebrate Plant Water Rectangle Organism

The tank isn’t fully cycled, so I am monitoring water parameters and doing daily or every other day 50% water changes. The cycling is coming along and I saw plants pearling yesterday, so let’s hope that I can maintain acclimation and cycling together. I’d have preferred to do this all more slowly but with vigilance and water changes I should be able to keep ammonia down while the plants acclimate to their new home.
Water parameters with co2 on:
pH: 7.0
KH: 6
GH: 2
Nitrite: .5 ppm
Nitrate: 15 ppm
Ammonia: 2-3 ppm
Temp: 76
I’ll be testing the water daily to look out for my plants. Running the light 6 hours with co2 on 2 hours before and off 1 hour before. The light is dimmed to brightness setting 3 out of 8. Any advice is welcome! It’s too late to change the ‘scape, so I hope it looks better this way. 😆

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
you have to change daily with ADA aquasoil, right? for the first week or so....

Awesome tank size!! Really cool start to it too. Can't wait to see how it goes!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you have to change daily with ADA aquasoil, right? for the first week or so....

Awesome tank size!! Really cool start to it too. Can't wait to see how it goes!!
I read that it leaches ammonia, and for me, it’s pretty serious. I’m not sure if you’re supposed tobut I have to regardless.
I love the size of the tank. I can’t decide on inhabitants. It will be a while but I have been thinking about it nonetheless.

I love my 12 gallon long, Even though its covered in several types of algae! Cloudiness and other weird stuff is expected on a new tank and I cant wait to see it when it has settled in!
Do you have a journal for your small tank? It’s very easy to make an algae farm without trying!

I’ll be thrilled when I have clear water, but you’re right in that this is a necessary part of the process. Thanks!

Ammonia not kill plants, is food fo bacteria.
Some plant can absorb ammonia directly.
You know nitrogen cycle?
It is food but it can also be toxic.

“The few studies that have been carried out on the toxicity of ammonia to freshwater vegetation have shown that concentrations greater than 2.4 milligrams of total ammonia (i.e., ammonia plus ammonium) per litre inhibit photosynthesis and growth in algae (e.g., World Health Organization 1986).”

I’m testing for 1-4 ppm of ammonia regularly even with the water changes and that’s as high as I want it. I will stop changing water when the tank is cycled more.

There is a lot of debate about ammonia/Amazonia /water changes /cycling. I’m taking the route that may take longer but I think is safer for my plants. (example: ADA Aquasoil and Ammonia )

A little closer....
Plant Vertebrate World Water Architecture

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do you have a journal for your small tank? It’s very easy to make an algae farm without trying!

I’ll be thrilled when I have clear water, but you’re right in that this is a necessary part of the process. Thanks!
I do not have a journal on my 12 long. I would be happy to share some photos if you would like?
Im in the process of setting up my new tank and the idea is to move everything and everyone into the big tank and just have one tank, sort of. Shrimp will be moving into the 12 long after the Frag tank is up and running and all the fish are settled. I will start fresh with a journal!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Speeoflife thanks for the link.
Tank dimensions?
No problem. Many different ways to do things “correctly.”
The tank is 35.4" wide x 8.3" deep x 9.4" tall.
(90cm wide x 21cm deep x 24cm tall)

I do not have a journal on my 12 long. I would be happy to share some photos if you would like?
Im in the process of setting up my new tank and the idea is to move everything and everyone into the big tank and just have one tank, sort of. Shrimp will be moving into the 12 long after the Frag tank is up and running and all the fish are settled. I will start fresh with a journal!
I’ll keep my eye out for the journal! I have really considered making this a shrimp tank - it would be so peaceful. But it’s my only tank and I just love having fish. That and my almost 2 year old son keeps expecting there to be fish in the aquarium! There are at least plants to look at now.

Edit: do you still have white clouds in your 12g? (read that in your journal)

·
Registered
69 Posts
It seems more longer.
Right, many different ways to do things correctly.
You start directly with 6 hour and dimmer ed light, generally suggest start with less hours.
Why?
I'm start now to handle dimmered light in acquarium.

·
Registered
263 Posts
No problem. Many different ways to do things “correctly.”
The tank is 35.4" wide x 8.3" deep x 9.4" tall.
(90cm wide x 21cm deep x 24cm tall)

I’ll keep my eye out for the journal! I have really considered making this a shrimp tank - it would be so peaceful. But it’s my only tank and I just love having fish. That and my almost 2 year old son keeps expecting there to be fish in the aquarium! There are at least plants to look at now.

Edit: do you still have white clouds in your 12g? (read that in your journal)
I do have the white clouds in there still, they are super active and they love playing in the current. My 2 year olds love watching too! I have a Fluval 307 under the hood running at max horsepower.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It seems more longer.
Right, many different ways to do things correctly.
You start directly with 6 hour and dimmer ed light, generally suggest start with less hours.
Why?
I'm start now to handle dimmered light in acquarium.
I have now turned the light up to 7 out of 8. I didn’t want to start an algae bloom before the plants could start growing. Now they are all pearling nicely and should be able to grow faster than the algae will accumulate on them.

Less hours is because I want to avoid algae. I’m giving the plants enough light to grow and survive while avoid algae. I will increase co2, light, and add fertilizers eventually. It’s just a slow process. I’d rather start slow and avoid algae than overdo it from the start.

Thought I lost the Riccia “Alsom” that was given to me. Found 2 tiny pieces:
Plant Wood Organism Grass Bedrock

Also thought I got rid of the Salvinia but it’s invincible. I’ll be scooping it out by the handful soon.
Plant Automotive lighting Light Terrestrial plant Organism

Some early pearling and clearer water:
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Twig

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Sunlight

Plant Vegetation Sunlight Grass Aquatic plant

Plant Rectangle Water Grass Pet supply

1 - 17 of 17 Posts