The Planted Tank Forum banner
1901 - 1920 of 1950 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is an update on my 12g rimless. Plants are starting to grow in nicely. I did have a problem dialing in the Co2 for a while, it was either too high or too low and I just couldn't seem to get it just right. Seems to be ok now, but I am sure as the plants grow it will need to be adjusted again.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here's mine. I put this together as a puffer tank, the tetra was a temporary guest.

Hi! I am thinking of getting one of these tanks and I love the way you put your tank together. Could you share what filter and lights you use and any other start off tips? Also which plants are working for you in this tank. Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had been thinking about getting rid of my standard 10 gallon shrimp tank and going for a 12 Gallon Long for a while. So decided to do that after seeing this thread.. That being said, is there any brand other than mr aqua 12 G long? (in a similar price range)
Also i have been seeing in older threads, people mentioning about the ikea stand for this. But that product doesnt seem to be available.. Any one has the link to any good stands for a 12G long?

·
Registered
4 Posts
What would be current recommendations for lighting these in a CO2/fert environment? It seems like most people have been running the Current Satellite+ and possibly the Finnex 24/7(not sure about the CC/SE 24/7's differences). I like the minimalist look of the sat+'s metal wire legs much better that the finnex's bulky plastic legs, but I've heard people have had troubles with water damage and that it might not supply enough light?

It looks like a Fluval Plant 3.0 just recently came out, how would this compare or would it be too much light? Hard to tell if it's as sleek looking as the sat+. It looks like the Current Satellite+ Pro is an upgraded version of the sat+? Maybe the 3.0 compares better to that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
What would be current recommendations for lighting these in a CO2/fert environment? It seems like most people have been running the Current Satellite+ and possibly the Finnex 24/7(not sure about the CC/SE 24/7's differences). I like the minimalist look of the sat+'s metal wire legs much better that the finnex's bulky plastic legs, but I've heard people have had troubles with water damage and that it might not supply enough light?

It looks like a Fluval Plant 3.0 just recently came out, how would this compare or would it be too much light? Hard to tell if it's as sleek looking as the sat+. It looks like the Current Satellite+ Pro is an upgraded version of the sat+? Maybe the 3.0 compares better to that?
I have the same questions.

From what I've looked at and read, it looks like the Current Satellite Plus Pro and Fluval Plant 3.0 would be too much light -- especially without CO2, etc. Anyone care to correct me?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I found those legs. Was it just luck that they fit the UP-Aqua Pro Z? Is there reason to believe they would they fit a wide variety of lights? Fluval Plant 3.0 for instance?

Thanks for the reply on a somewhat old post!
Hi I measured up and the pro-z light has little holes for the wire legs to fit nicely, I think the mounting holes need to be around 55mm apart, chihiros also sell a a-series plus which is a bit wider, pretty sure you can buy those legs separately also, I think they are more around the 80cm wide, but I am just guessing.

I actually dont use these legs anymore and hung my lights above for event more height.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Awesome thread that's been pretty dormant lately! I've picked up a 12 Gallon Long and I am brainstorming my build. Got a couple of questions for yall!

1) Anyone using the ADA ES-600 on this setup? A cheaper alternative are the knock offs from China ( DICI DC-600 or Chihiros Super Jet Stainless Steel External Filter Canister ES-600) I just can't find any reviews! It would help like crazy if someone uses the knocks off and could message me and tell me about them.

2) Anyone using any lighting pendents on these tanks? I want to do a floating shelf. Three shelves with the tank on the middle one. Have the light build into the bottom of the top shelf. Have the bottom shelf hold the filter and co2.

3) Best paintball co2 set up, functionality and looks wise since I'm going for an exposed look?

Thanks guys! Can't wait to set mine up. I will start a journal within the next month.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,914 ·
Ya! New member. Show us what you have so far :grin2:

Awesome thread that's been pretty dormant lately! I've picked up a 12 Gallon Long and I am brainstorming my build. Got a couple of questions for yall!

1) Anyone using the ADA ES-600 on this setup? A cheaper alternative are the knock offs from China ( DICI DC-600 or Chihiros Super Jet Stainless Steel External Filter Canister ES-600) I just can't find any reviews! It would help like crazy if someone uses the knocks off and could message me and tell me about them.

Those are nice but perhaps too much power. Keep in mind its a shallow tank. The biggest filter I've seen anyone tried on this is the Eheim 2213, anymore it'll blow everything away, especially the substrate.

2) Anyone using any lighting pendents on these tanks? I want to do a floating shelf. Three shelves with the tank on the middle one. Have the light build into the bottom of the top shelf. Have the bottom shelf hold the filter and co2.

This tank when filled can be quite heavy so don't recommend floating it at all on any shelf. In terms of the lighting though, as long as it's strong enough to reach the substrate, it'll work. Really depends on what you want to grow.

3) Best paintball co2 set up, functionality and looks wise since I'm going for an exposed look?

For the best "exposed look", do the small CO2 cartridges with refills so you don't see wiring everywhere. The next would be the paintball just to keep the pipings minimal.

Thanks guys! Can't wait to set mine up. I will start a journal within the next month.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So. I now have an AquaMaxx 22 gal long. I know it's not a 12, but hoping they're similar enough that I might find some information here. So far, I have the tank itself and a Fluval Plant 3.0 light coming. After researching canister filters, I like the Hydor 150 best. Does anyone have any experience with this filter?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wish this group didn't die down. I'll be starting my 12 gallon long end of January. Any light recommendations? I want to hang it 8" above the tank and I will have co2

·
Registered
472 Posts
Didn't realize this thread existed! Here is my Aquatop, first photo is the first time I scaped it. Didn't leave enough room in the back so the stem plants never grew well. The Fluval Stratum was also a pain in the butt to plant in.

Second photo is the most recent rescape. It is only a couple weeks old, but I think the hardscape is a lot stronger. I'm not at home at the moment but I'll post a FTS when I get home.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Take a look at the new Fluval 3.0, there is a 36 inch length, but I'm not sure about suspending it.

I have this light on a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long and I can tell you you most certainly need to either suspend it, or dial the intensity way down. The light is too powerful for such a shallow tank. You WILL get algae blooms.

1901 - 1920 of 1950 Posts