The Planted Tank Forum banner
961 - 980 of 1950 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! RAOK OFFERED!!!

Not sure off the top of my head. Ill tell you what they are when I get home tonight.

Carpet is hc, some tropica 049, cardinal plants. Ill name them in order when I get a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey all,

Ordered my 12G long today and excited to join the club once I get all my equipment in!

What Finnex LED fixture would you all recommend if I'd like to keep this tank fairly low tech?

I'm thinking either the 36" Fugeray or (3) 10" FugeRay-R's. Anyone have thoughts on this? I fear I will have to suspend the 36" FugeRay, but I should be able to pull this off. Additionally if I choose to go down the CO2/slightly more high tech route in the future, I will always have the ability to lower the light fixture at that point.

The PAR output on (3) FugeRay-R's should put me in a lower light category, but that's 3 power cords to deal with and a less minimalist look.

Looks like I just answered my own question!

A question for you folks running CO2 on your tanks: What is an estimated start up cost for a basic paintball system with the tank, regulators, diffusers, tubing, etc? How often do the 24oz tanks need a refill?

Looking forward to starting my journal and joining the club! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! RAOK OFFERED!!!

My CO2 setup was about 130 because the aquatek regulator was on sale around Xmas when I bought it. About 150 is safe for a total cost though and it's been up for a couple of months now without a refill. No idea how long it'll last

·
Registered
354 Posts
photography

How do people go about photographing a long scape while capturing nothing but te inside of the tank. For instance, when I see pics of contest tanks, all I see is the inside and the water above which people like to add water ripples to. Is it mostly "photo-shoped" pics along with professional lighting. I'm curious to see if anyone here knows.

I'm always stuck taking photos from a distance and posting pics like the one above. I want to see my plants in better quality photos is what I'm trying to do while getting the whole layout as well.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #970 ·
Wow. A lot of very unique setups. I am very impressed ;)

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #971 ·

How do people go about photographing a long scape while capturing nothing but te inside of the tank. For instance, when I see pics of contest tanks, all I see is the inside and the water above which people like to add water ripples to. Is it mostly "photo-shoped" pics along with professional lighting. I'm curious to see if anyone here knows.

I'm always stuck taking photos from a distance and posting pics like the one above. I want to see my plants in better quality photos is what I'm trying to do while getting the whole layout as well.
Your water is very clear. Impressive with such a small filter :)

·
Registered
619 Posts

Basically they are just cropping the pictures. They probably do some curve adjustment to bring out the highlights and shadows. Also, these 12g's may be too shallow to see ripple effect.

Btw, what lens are you using?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Your water is very clear. Impressive with such a small filter :)
Thanks. My water is crystal clear, but that small filter is connected to a relatively big sump below the tank....lol.

Basically they are just cropping the pictures. They probably do some curve adjustment to bring out the highlights and shadows. Also, these 12g's may be too shallow to see ripple effect.

Btw, what lens are you using?
Thanks for the info.

My galaxy s phone (5.0 mega pix - I remember when this was high for point and shoot cameras) for all the photos in my 12 gal journal.

But I do own a nikon d5100, only using the standard lens it came with. I will eventually start practicing again.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #975 ·
Wow. The very 1st Galaxy produced those photos? Did you have to use any special setting or whatever the standard setting was? :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wow. The very 1st Galaxy produced those photos? Did you have to use any special setting or whatever the standard setting was? :)
Just default settings. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Looks like I found the right place!

I just received my Mr. Aqua 12g long, and was looking for ideas on planting it.

Lighting is Aquatic Life dual T5, it has two bulbs one is an acintic (sp?) not sure what the other is. Is a 10k and a 6500k too much for this tank? I have the light setting on the rim.

Filter will be a Ehiem 2213

I will also be running Co2.

I will be using Amazonia Aquasoil as substrate.

Plants, I am currently looking for HC but cant find any locally. I also will be using Dwarf Hair Grass as well for ground cover. Looking for other ideas as well.

I will be adding some shrimp, just unsure of which ones. Ill be adding 12 Pygmy Cories as well.

I am thinking of adding some drift wood and some rocks is I can find something that I like. I am looking forward to set it up, and get some pics.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks like I found the right place!

I just received my Mr. Aqua 12g long, and was looking for ideas on planting it.

Lighting is Aquatic Life dual T5, it has two bulbs one is an acintic (sp?) not sure what the other is. Is a 10k and a 6500k too much for this tank? I have the light setting on the rim.

Filter will be a Ehiem 2213

I will also be running Co2.

I will be using Amazonia Aquasoil as substrate.

Plants, I am currently looking for HC but cant find any locally. I also will be using Dwarf Hair Grass as well for ground cover. Looking for other ideas as well.

I will be adding some shrimp, just unsure of which ones. Ill be adding 12 Pygmy Cories as well.

I am thinking of adding some drift wood and some rocks is I can find something that I like. I am looking forward to set it up, and get some pics.
Welcome to the club!

Yes, that will definitely be too much light sitting on the rim of the tank. With dual t5s you'll have to raise the fixture up a lot. A single T5 would be a lot, even with co2. Can you run it with a single bulb? If you can I would suggest that, but you will still probably need to hang it or add some window screen/mesh to cut down the light if you want to leave it on the tank.

961 - 980 of 1950 Posts