The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to convert my old 125G Goldfish tank over to a planted Potomac River Sunfish tank. I ordered two Finnex Ray2 and Finnex MonsterRays, should give plenty of light at only 18" to substrate. no Co2.

Some spec's are...
125G
2 Finnex Ray2's and MonsterRay's
Safe T Sorb substrate at 2.5" deep
1 Rena XP3 canister
1 SunSun 304b canister

plants-
Vallisneria americana

fish-
1 Longear Sunfish
1 Pumpkinseed Sunfish
1 Redbreast Sunfish
1 Northern Bluegill
small school of Spotfin Shiners

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Planted my Val the other night, still waiting on my Finnex LED's, so just using my two 36" T8's and a 48" dual T8. Going to let the plants root firmly then add the fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
River

Don't know what the Patomic looks like but that looks like a river. It will be interesting to see what a couple months, and the monsters turns into. Good job

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a picture of the Potomac taken in April before the Val grew in. Once its June, the Val fill the shallows.
You can see the bottom and rocks in this picture though.
In fact, the rocks in my tank came from the Potomac River, right out our back yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture my uncle just sent me. Beautiful Fall over the river.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will update again Wednesday once my LED lights get here. I originally ordered the Finnex Ray2's and the MonsterRay's, but the seller on Amazon was out of stock on the MonsterRays, so I ordered two Current USA Satellite LED plus, they also should be here Wednesday.
The Ray2's are primarily for the plants and the Satellites are for color reproduction of the fish. Plus with the Satellites, I get moon lighting which is nice.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
This is gonna be awesome! I really like your representation of the river bottom.

Do you think four sunfish will be enough individuals to diffuse aggression? The bluegill will probably be a real SOB.

Spotfin shiners are great aquarium fish. I have tried a few different shiners and the spotfins were the only ones that were very hardy in the tank.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I am trying to get it to look like you took a small snap shot under water. The Bluegill will probably be the most laid back. The Red breast are pretty aggressive though. My experience with keeping BG in the past is they are not very aggressive. I really want a Green Sunfish too, but they are illegal in FL.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New runners and buds on my Val this is all under T8 bulbs. I cannot wait to get my Ray2's and Satellite LED plus fixtures tomorrow. I'm so excited! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my Finnex Ray2 and Satellite LED+ lights on the tank. I have to say, the light over the Vals (Ray2's) look more concentrated but the two 36" T8's and single 48" T8 looked brighter. We will see. The shimmer sure does look pretty though! :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Added my single Longear Sunfish from my 65G. He seems to be enjoying his new 6 foot home! Slowly going to start adding more!

Here are a couple pictures of my guy! I caught him when he was about the size of a nickle from the Potomac and traveled back to FL with him and that was about 6-7 years ago!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will be getting my other Sunfish soon!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lovely fish.. I want some orange spotted sunnies.. the males are eletric, much like your longear.
Orange Spots are lovely fish! Good luck and post pictures. I would like to see the tank!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Out of curiosity, why did you choose to go with a Potomac river biotope rather than one local to you? Central Florida's got such a rich aquatic flora and fauna that I'd be hard pressed not to go with local natives if I were there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Out of curiosity, why did you choose to go with a Potomac river biotope rather than one local to you? Central Florida's got such a rich aquatic flora and fauna that I'd be hard pressed not to go with local natives if I were there.
Very Good question Phil. I will do my best to answer. I grew up and lived half my life in WV right on the river. I still go back every summer. Many memories, beautiful scenery with the mountains and river. When I am there in the summer, I spend every second I can on the river either fishing or skiing/swimming or just nature watching. Its a huge part of my life, something I only get to see 3 weeks a year now. I fish here in FL on the local lakes and rivers a lot, but its not the same. While we do have some pretty/cool looking fish, just not for me.
The picture of the fall season over the river is the picture I am going to hang over my tank on the wall. I think it will make more since one that wall is complete and I show the whole setup rather then just the tank.

Now, if I had the space I would have a large tank with a spotted gar, some bass, catfish, bowfin and crappie. That would be great!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope that answered your question Phil. BTW, Love your 300G!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Yeah, and that's the best reason to do a tank like that, IMO. Spending time on the water like that is what got me into keeping planted tanks. :proud:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts