The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!

Figured I'd share the progress of my first tank after being out of the hobby for so long.

First, specs:

125g AGA
Two Coralife 36'' 2x96w PC's: 2x6700k; 2x10,000k = 384watts
(I also have actinic bulbs in the crap AGA strips that came w/ the tank, only for viewing purposes)
Fluval 405
Eheim Ecco 2232
20# press. CO2 w/ regulator, bubble counter, reactor via Rio from AquariumPlants.com, Milwaukee pH controller.
Eheim Jager heaters
Turbo Twist UV
Substrate: Flourite, pea gravel, play sand.
Currently dosing w/ Flourish tabs and Flourish, on the low levels to let things get started.
pH after CO2: currently @ 7.4
kH: 7 degrees
gH: 16 degrees (please forgive me, it's been a while since playing the mad scientist, I've forgotten how to convert to ppm)

current inhabitants include 10 Otocinclus, 7 SAE, three black mollies for algae help, 3 sunburst platies for comical relief/nostalgic purposes/splash of color, Amano shrimp in the 18-20 range.

Here it is when first set up... trying to sink some beautiful branches:

So I get this awesome shipment of plants from an old friend, Rob H of AquaBotanic; too bad I can't see them thanks to the GREEN WATER OUTBREAK FROM HELL

In all the years I had tanks.. never.... ever dealt with green water. My new city's water is insane, apparently.

Tried black out....Waterchange only made it worse. So I caved and bought a TurboTwist UV. I must say, AWESOME. Just gotta get the nutrients under control and we'll be in the clear.

This is after three days of UV -- still a little hazy, but SUCH a difference:

I apologize for the crap picture quality - my camera struggles:

Beautiful Ozelot sword... throwing out a new leaf every 4 days:

:) I'll try to keep this updated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sort of don't know when to quit when it comes to driftwood. I had three large pieces left over from some past tanks and picked up two branch-like pieces from an LFS recently because I loved their shape. It was a sort of a challenge trying to get everything put together and still have room for plants, haha.

so, right now I have a big Java Fern, Anubias and Crypt driftwood extravaganza on the right side of the tank, and more a Dutch-theme feel going on in the rest of the tank. I need to find a way to balance both of the styles together. Perhaps that will become a little clearer to me once the Ferns and Anubias start to fill in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a few Cryptocorynes, java moss, D. diandra and Ludwigia peruensis from AquariumPlants.com (awesome, awesome, yay). That UV sterilizer has made my water SO clear, it's been a great investment. After everything is under control, I'll turn it off and only run it occasionally to preserve the life of the bulb.

Right side:

Middle:

Left:

I picked up some Serpae tetras and diamond tetras, too. I'm really thrilled with the Diamonds. VERY active.
I need a tripod for my camera, haha. Sorry for the low quality.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Wow, a nice start and beautiful layout!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much :) This is my first tank in about 4 or 5 years, I'm just so excited to watch it start to fill in!

Now I just need to find a local place that sells healthy and numerous Emperor Tetras :p

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I love it. I'd say your tank reminds me of a coral reef tank, with so many colors shapes and sizes. Nice job!

Are you planning on getting a centerpeice fish(es)?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Burks & esarkipato -
Thank you :) I appreciate it!
That's totally flattering to have it compared to a reef -- as much as I appreciate and oogle at the ADA style of compositions containing just a few species of plants, I tend to go for detail-overload and love mixing all different colors and textures together to create a very busy look! haha

I am planning on doing a centerpiece...For now I'm thinking the Emperor Tetras --- I've always loved them and you don't really see them too often. However my tank is large enough to pull off some Denisoni barbs... so the option is there! I also have a penchant for Beckford pencilfish.

Any suggestions? I'm totally open!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tank looks great, seems to have improved a lot from its beginning stages. Some large discus might look cool in there, but Emperor Tetras would probably be easier.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Love seeing the transformation of this tank! :) I understand your 'collectoritis' for driftwood. You have some very nice pieces!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cmcnulty -- Thanks :) It's been fun to watch it evolve. I thought about discus, because I definitely have the space for a few. I'm a little apprehensive, though, because of my city's water. But you never know how things could change once the tank is all settled and stable. I'm also in love with Threadfin rainbows and Furcata rainbows.

Color Me Blue -- I think I almost have driftwood OCD, hahaha. This tank has reached its peak for driftwood, but I saw some great pieces at a LFS that I almost bought "just in case I set up another tank." oohhhh boy. :p

I'm completely thrilled with that Ludwigia peruensis, it almost seems fake :)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
rainbows are a good idea. Some dwarf cichlids would be really nice too...maybe kribs or Rams.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
knuggs -- thank you :) I like variety and "something new" in every corner. I'm a glutton for clutter.

esarkipato -- I might consider some Bolivian Rams. I can't resist having 'just a little cichlid' in every tank I've had :D.
I can't decide between Furcata rainbows or Threadfins, though. Maybe I'll do a small shoal of both?

Some updated shots as of last night --- I picked up a trio of Roseline/Denison barbs. Couldn't resist.

diamond tetra ON THE MOVE

It's funny, looking at the progression of pictures back to back. I stare at the tank so often I don't really notice any major growth. But I see how everything is filling in!

I also added a Farlowella acus. I am in LOVE with this fish. He is a super algae eater and a wonderful oddball addition to the tank.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the way it looks!!!

Starting to make me want to change my 135g Frontosa tank......
Thank you! It's awesome to see that you guys like this tank. I'm definitely in love with it, part of it is just excitement to be back in the hobby!

My micro swords and hairgrass are starting to take hold and shoot new runners out...I imagine it will be a challenge to control their movements and direction, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the both progress naturally.

I just noticed that the Myriophyllum heterophyllum (I believe) in the center and left side is starting to look like puffy fireworks falling out of the sky, haha.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow tank is looking great! I love those roselines!
Good work on the comeback from your algae past :D

Your Avatar is INSANE! Im sitting here staring at it and its quite the "trippy" picture. I want that on a 11"x20" canvas so I can stare at that when Im drunk!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you PeteyPob! I'm very impatient, so hanging out waiting for the green water to run its course was just not in the cards for me, haha.

I'm glad you like my Avatar... it's actually a photomanipulation I did of an old yellow Betta I had. He was photographed from above, flaring his fins and gills "_

1 - 20 of 35 Posts