·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking for the tank set up:
A PH of 6
temperature of 75f
some sort of good but sandy gravel

**Would these numbers be good for breeding rams [I don't expect the fry, as I would not remove them, but id like to be able to watch the mating rituals]**

Now Im looking for suggestions:

for plants I for sure want some Amazon swords. Whats are some other easier types of plants?

For the rams I was wandering how many sets of 1m\3f I could do of rams, I was hoping for at least two varieties?

Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid
Blue Panda Apisto
Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid
Dwarf Flag Cichlid
Bolivian Ram

[any more varieties?]

And as for the schooling fish

I was thinking of two large groups. I need some recommendations, on how many and what types of amazon ones there are.

I found:
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Lemon tetra
Neon tetra

[I know there's: cardnals and rummys- but arn't they hard and expensive?]

What are some good top dwelling amazon fish? Or other fish I could keep witht he rams.

NO CORY'S

·
Registered
40 Posts
In that size tank, as long as you can break up the line of sight, you could probably do 3 different pairs of the apisto's

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I only tried mixing Rams and Apistos once, but it wasn't a success (even though it was a 90gal tank). I had to remove the Apisto. It was 1/2 the size of the Rams but still was (still IS) a Holy Terror (most recently it bullied a full grown angel... )

I think if you've got a heavily planted tank with plenty of hardscape for marking territories and hiding from each other, you might make a go of it.

However, if you want to breed Rams you'll need to keep the tank in the low to mid 80s F. And at those temps Cardinal and Rummynosed tetras do much better than Neons. I've never had luck keeping Neons alive, but always found Cardinals and Rummies very hardy as long as I'm very careful about the source of my stock and acclimate them properly. In my neck of the woods small tetras of most common species are around $2 each.

If your real goal is breeding the dwarf cichlids, I'd recommend setting up a separate spawning tank, as I've never had any eggs make it past 48hours without being eaten in my community tank.

Hatchetfish are the "classic" amazonian topdwellers. Don't keep them in a tank without a completely enclosed top, though- they can literally FLY.

Name a tetra common to the hobby and there's about an 80% chance it came from the Amazonian river sytem... and to this day the majority of the Amazonia tetra species are still wild-caught.

Why no Cories? What type of scavengers were you planning on incorporating, instead? There are all sorts of other catfish native to the Amazon...

·
Registered
569 Posts
My hat is off to you sir!! Most people would want to overload a tank that size with BIG fish and never get the chance to experience the fun of watching the behavior of the smaller species in an environment they can move around in. I'd love to see some picks when you're done...errr...... started.

If I can help with fish or plants let me know.

Mark aka RMC

·
Registered
449 Posts
Woo Hoo, on the dwarf cichlid Amazon tank! My favorites!

Which Dwarf Flag Cichlid? Contrary to many published reports, I have found Laetacara species to be exceedingly aggressive. I've had many serious bitting injuries from these guys once they reached spawning size.

While the A. cacatuoides being a larger species, can choose to command a larger bottom area. Easily patrolling a 3 - 4 ft area. They are great though, and usually very personable. Just, if you choose a larger species, stick with just one other dwarf, two . . not three species. I've come to appreciate the more outgoing Apistos in display tanks. Some others can spend most of their time hiding, especially when you approach the tank. IMHO, keep these in breeding and species only tanks.

I think a school of Emperor tetras in a 6 ft tank would be gorgeous! Another one that is smaller, and not as bad at fry predation, would be the Black Neon tetra. Also, smaller pencilfish.

Apistogramma borellii are another easier, more outgoing, community friendly Apisto to consider. As well as Dicrossus filamentosus . . . stunning, and easy-going attitudes. You could do a colony of Dicrossus, their blue and red sparkles would look great paired w/ Cardinal tetras.

Here's a great website for info on individual species:
http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/index.php

Questions on community and display tanks for Dwarf Cichlids regularly pop up on the Apistogramma Forum. You could use the search: "community" , to read what some of the better known experts in the field recommend.
http://forum.apistogramma.com/index.php

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking for the tank set up:
A PH of 6.5
temperature of 78f
some sort of good but sandy plant gravel

I was thinking for the set-up:
-Trio of German blues
-trio of Bolivians
-10 silver hatchets
-2 schools of 20[+\-] tight schooling fish:
-4 Clown Pleco [once algea builds up]
-10 sids and maybe some yoyo's [I know there not SA but I want them]

[maybe a pair of Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid if they would fit]

Would that be too big of a bioload [obviously it depends on the plants and filter too, but in general COULD it work.

lemon Tetra
Emperor Tetra
X-Ray Pristella Tetra
Blue Tetra
Glowlight Tetra
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Flame Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Neon Tetra
-----Are any of those good tight schooling fish that like to stay bunched??

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Clown plecos mostly eat wood, not algae.

And IMO you're really pushing bioload.

You could make it work as long as you're faithful with 50% weekly water changes, but you won't have any room at all for error.

And with loaches in the tank I strongly doubt you'll ever get any fry, they'll get eaten for sure.

Blue, phantom and bleeding heart tetras can all get nippy.

Keep in mind that female Emperor tetras and Pristellas are large and will probably be bigger than the Rams once full grown. Emperors also can be nippy.

I'd go with Cardinal tetras instead of Neons, b/c if you want your rams to spawn you need to keep the tank in the low 80s and Cardinals are much better adapted to these warm temps.

·
Banned
2,470 Posts
With plants, I bet you could do 30 percent a week or 50 percent every other week and be fine with that stocking...it is a 125 gallon tank!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How would this work for a fully planted 125g tank

-5 silver hatchets
-20 lemon Tetra
-20 Rummy-nose tetra
-6 otto's
-1m/3f of German blues
-1m/3f of Bolivians
-5 yoyo's [I know there not SA but I want them]
-1m/1fBristlenose Pleco

are the lemons and rummy's tight schooler's??

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Tetras will school sometimes and scatter others, depending on how comfortable they are in a tank. Both those species can school really nicely though, especially the Rummies.

I'd go with EITHER the GBRs or the Bolivians; I don't think you've got enough floor space for both.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think a school of Emperor tetras in a 6 ft tank would be gorgeous! Another one that is smaller, and not as bad at fry predation, would be the Black Neon tetra. Also, smaller pencilfish.
I second the Emperor tetras--my fav tetra (obvious if one were to look at my user name! :wink: They are a pretty easy spawning tetra--had many spawn in my 10 gal (which was too small a space, very important...). Beautiful!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also agree with the Emperors, one of my vavorite, also I have been looking at the bleeding heart and the columbian red fin tetras. I am currently building a 180 gal and plan to house nice schools of each.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts