The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. It's been 1 month since my 125g tank tear down. I've had it planted for 2 weeks now. Some plants are doing very well, some just ok. I've noticed some brown algae on some old leaves and on gravel, also a little green smear/spot algae on glass. Is that a normal thing? I think the tank is cycled. I've been using Seachem balance. Ammonia and nitrite are zero, and nitrates are about zero for over a week.

I haven't been testing any fertilizers. I'm using all Seachem liquid ferts- Flourish, Excel, Flourish Trace, Nitrogen, Phosphates, and Potassium, along with Florin- FE according to labels. I'm about ready to try dry ferts but I'm unsure if I'm using the right ferts and quantity. I have pressurized co2 with a drop checker, and using 158watts of HO T5. Lights overlap giving me 316watts for 2 hrs.

I'm thinking to get aquariumfertilizer.coms - Mono Potassium Phosphate, Plantex csm+ Boron, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate. Would I still need the liquid nitrogen and other stuff?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You probably could use a lot more of the liquid fertilizers than you have been. Zero nitrate is not a good thing in a planted tank, I would double up on all the suggested dosings of phosphate, nitrate, potassium and either Flourish or F. Trace. The dosing suggestions on the bottles aren't for a brightly lit, CO2 enhanced tank like yours.

The dry stuff is the same stuff as in the bottles. Flourish, Flourish Trace and Potassium all have potassium, Flourish and Nitrogen have nitrate, Phosphates have phosphate [duh], Flourish and Flourish Trace have the same traces CSM+B have. Use it up but dry is much cheaper, you will go through the set of powders inside a year in your high powered tank. I don't know how many bottles that would be, probably a couple dozen of each sort given your large bright CO2 enriched tank.

The CO2 and plenty of fertilizers will help your plants grow strong and resist algae. You have strong light, hope you are only running it for a maximum of 8 hours total.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered my dry ferts. I'm going to still dose Seachem Nitrogen. My lights are on for 11 hrs. I think the brown algae occurs mostly after a water change. I think it will go away soon.

Thank you. Check out the pics.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
158 watts is 4x39 watt, 3 foot T5HO bulbs, arranged in two rows across the length of the tank? If those two rows are separated by 8-10 inches and you are using good quality light fixtures, you should have low medium light with the lights sitting on top of the tank. If it is a pair of 2 bulb 2x39 watt lights in a row across the length of the tank, you should have close to high light, but not across the whole front to back dimension of the substrate. With the latter a shorter photoperiod is essential, with the former it is much less so. With the latter, if you raise the lights about 4-6 inches above the top of the tank, you should be back at low medium light, with reasonable uniformity from front to back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 8x 39 watts. With 4 on at a time they are maybe 5 inches apart. They are 2 or 3 inches over an open tank. I do 4 rosette bulbs(reddish/pink) from 9:30a-4p & 4 65k bulbs from 2p-8:30p.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.