The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a 125 planted angelfish community tank the dimensions are 72x20x20. The lights I have settled on are 2x 36" Finnex planted+. Substrate will be precharged Safe T Sorb and will be root tabs and Easy green fertilizer. I have been doing tons of reading and research planning all this out. I have grown some simple plants in my 55 (java fern and dwarf lily bulbs) so am fairly new to plants but the pleco and goldfish my wife is in love with destroyed them. The plants I have come with so far are
Amazon Swords
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii green and red
Java fern
Dwarf Lily
I am open to any suggestions and feedback on other plants. I have a lot of real estate and want a jungle look.

The reason for the wall of post was to get to a few questions.
1. Should I buy a few plants to start with or go ahead and buy enough to fill the tank. I was thinking of buying a few and to make sure what would grow ok. Don't want to throw money on plants just for them to die.

2. More knowledge and opinions on different plants I may not think of

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I am planning a 125 planted angelfish community tank the dimensions are 72x20x20. The lights I have settled on are 2x 36" Finnex planted+. Substrate will be precharged Safe T Sorb and will be root tabs and Easy green fertilizer. I have been doing tons of reading and research planning all this out. I have grown some simple plants in my 55 (java fern and dwarf lily bulbs) so am fairly new to plants but the pleco and goldfish my wife is in love with destroyed them. The plants I have come with so far are
Amazon Swords
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii green and red
Java fern
Dwarf Lily
I am open to any suggestions and feedback on other plants. I have a lot of real estate and want a jungle look.

The reason for the wall of post was to get to a few questions.
1. Should I buy a few plants to start with or go ahead and buy enough to fill the tank. I was thinking of buying a few and to make sure what would grow ok. Don't want to throw money on plants just for them to die.

2. More knowledge and opinions on different plants I may not think of
I would buy enough plants that you can moderately plant the tank for best chance of success. That said, its hard to justify doing that when you have so little experience with smaller tanks. Sometimes certain plants just won't grow well for some people. It would stink to find that out after you buy say 100 dollars of a certain species. Anyway I have no real help here other then to say stick with easy species and be prepared to do BIG water changes (at least 50% preferably more) at least once a week. I find this really helps to keep the algae down.

I would also not do a pure safe-t-sorb substrate. I love safe-t-sorb, I really really do. But its kind of a pain to plant in when its the only thing in the tank. Its just very light. Instead I would put down an inch or more of sand and put 1+ inch of safe-t-sorb on top/mixed in. This will give you the security of sand to plant into which is much easier to deal with. The safe-t-sorb being much lighter then the sand will also stay on top so you aesthetically you will have the same look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would buy enough plants that you can moderately plant the tank for best chance of success. That said, its hard to justify doing that when you have so little experience with smaller tanks. Sometimes certain plants just won't grow well for some people. It would stink to find that out after you buy say 100 dollars of a certain species. Anyway I have no real help here other then to say stick with easy species and be prepared to do BIG water changes (at least 50% preferably more) at least once a week. I find this really helps to keep the algae down.

I would also not do a pure safe-t-sorb substrate. I love safe-t-sorb, I really really do. But its kind of a pain to plant in when its the only thing in the tank. Its just very light. Instead I would put down an inch or more of sand and put 1+ inch of safe-t-sorb on top/mixed in. This will give you the security of sand to plant into which is much easier to deal with. The safe-t-sorb being much lighter then the sand will also stay on top so you aesthetically you will have the same look.
I was also planning Blasting sand on bottom and taking safe-t-sorb and make a small island on left side of tank and large island on right side of tank. Leave a decent area open between and front of tank for swimming.

Edit Also thanks for the reply. I have no problem with the water changes I will try my best to find balance in the tank.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I was also planning Blasting sand on bottom and taking safe-t-sorb and make a small island on left side of tank and large island on right side of tank. Leave a decent area open between and front of tank for swimming.

Edit Also thanks for the reply. I have no problem with the water changes I will try my best to find balance in the tank.
Gotcha, well the blasting sand will definitely make planting easier. Other easy plants you can add include ludwigia, vallisneria, and dwarf sagittaria subulata to name a few. The former is a stem and basically requires you to cut it and replant the tips/branches to propagate but has many varieties with a few different color variations. The latter two can take over a tank by creating runners.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
all those plants you listed (except the cypt parva i have but this one is coming next week) I have all of them do fine. especially since you're substrate is better than what i have going. But I have basic substrate and use tabs. but all those should be good. The only thing I would say is make sure you get those sword plants... away from the walls, preferably right under a light. Mine had issues getting started and I think it was the lighting. I moved them to just slightly better light and they took off. Once they are established I'm sure you can move them or put sprouts anywhere. The other plants will do fine though in the low tech. some you might see do ever better in the dark pits of your tank (thinking of the Crypts).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Your best bet is to pack it with the most plants you can afford. Strong plant growth is the best algae deterrent we have. Starting with a few stems and a couple rhizomes is really tough.

If you stick with super simple, fast growing plants at the start, you're going to be off to a good start. I would get your hands on Water Wisteria, Bacopa species, Dwarf Water Lettuce, Java Fern, Amazon Swords, and Hornwort.

It won't be a pretty tank to start with, but it will be healthy. Once all of these are growing the way you want them to, you can replace one species at a time with more complex, prettier plants.

·
Registered
304 Posts
what steps are/did you take to "precharge" the safeTsorb? I am using this now in a neo tank but it took a while to get the ph up to 6.9 with tons of high carbonate water changes before the shrimp went in. I have some more in a bucket in the back yard that I am adding hard AZ water into (500+ tds, 15+ kh) each day but haven't tested yet to see if that has worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what steps are/did you take to "precharge" the safeTsorb? I am using this now in a neo tank but it took a while to get the ph up to 6.9 with tons of high carbonate water changes before the shrimp went in. I have some more in a bucket in the back yard that I am adding hard AZ water into (500+ tds, 15+ kh) each day but haven't tested yet to see if that has worked.

Going to follow that as close as I can and spread it out in totes and pet it soak about 2 weeks

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just checked my ph for the first time since filling the bucket up three weeks ago and it went from 6.4ph to now 7.25ph. I have been adding new tap water to it every few days (100% WC w/very hard water) the whole time. My normal rested tap ph is 7.6 so pretty much there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.