The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Gallon High Tech Planted Paradise
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I had to sell off my 75 gallon a few years back, and had a Finnex 24/7 Planted + on it. I also had a BeamLED light as well. Both were 48" long. I'm getting a 6ft 125gallon this weekend and want to rebuild a new high tech dirted tank with CO2. Scaping hasn't been decided yet, but I want the ability to grow most things. Can I use the 4 foot planted plus light centered and then 2 36" Finnex stingray 2's to get enough light roughly 24inches down to the substrate. Of course taller plants should have plenty of light, but if I decide to go with a carpet, will this work?

If not, what would be a better combination. I'm willing to spend between $2-300 if necessary, but would like to keep it LED, color adjustments are a plus but not necessary as long as the lights have a pleasant look as well as being bright. I'll use smart plugs to control the on and off if they don't have it built in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
You are already familiar with the light output from your previous lights, if you are happy with that level it won't change much on your new tank, the issue being the edges. That 1 foot loss along both sides (assuming your lights are centered) is something you will definitely notice. If you buy the finnex and put them on the sides that will of course help.

Keeping it under 200 for a 6 foot tank pretty much knocks out buying all new lights. If you doubled your budget you could buy PopBloom lights off of e b a y and replace all your current lights. Assuming you don't want to do that then sticking to your plan is probably best.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Hey all, so I had to sell off my 75 gallon a few years back, and had a Finnex 24/7 Planted + on it. I also had a BeamLED light as well. Both were 48" long. I'm getting a 6ft 125gallon this weekend and want to rebuild a new high tech dirted tank with CO2. Scaping hasn't been decided yet, but I want the ability to grow most things. Can I use the 4 foot planted plus light centered and then 2 36" Finnex stingray 2's to get enough light roughly 24inches down to the substrate. Of course taller plants should have plenty of light, but if I decide to go with a carpet, will this work?

If not, what would be a better combination. I'm willing to spend between $2-300 if necessary, but would like to keep it LED, color adjustments are a plus but not necessary as long as the lights have a pleasant look as well as being bright. I'll use smart plugs to control the on and off if they don't have it built in.

Thanks!

72" Fspec 5 row will have a bit more err saturated color due to the red/green diodes.
Use the Finnex for color adj..

Be aware that 72" Beamsworks have a minor tendency to droop a bit in the center.
Both 5 row models will be similar in output:
  • : 96 @ 12-inch depth (24-inch fixture)
    [*]Ideal for: medium-high light plants
    [*]Fixture sizes: 72 inches (available 12-72″)
    [*]For tanks: (up to 100 gallons)
    [*]LEDs: 102x 10000K, 32x Actinic 460nm, 22x Red 620nm, 26x Green 520nm
    [*]Modes: Day/night
    [*]Wattage: 182 x 0.5W = 91 watts total

·
Registered
125 Gallon High Tech Planted Paradise
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I'll check out those popbloom lights. Any recommendations on a $400 setup with them? I'm ok with going above $200-300 range and could potentially do this in stages. The Beamworks seems like a really good deal and I liked by old 48" light of theirs.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I'll check out those popbloom lights. Any recommendations on a $400 setup with them? I'm ok with going above $200-300 range and could potentially do this in stages. The Beamworks seems like a really good deal and I liked by old 48" light of theirs.
Currently you can get a feshwater "set" for $350 inc. shipping
2PCS LED Aquarium Grow Light 72" Full Spectrum Freshwater Plants Fish Tank Lamp
Price:

US $349.30 FREE Expedited Shipping from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan to worldwide

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Sorry somehow answered my own post.. but an FYI.

They finally re-configured their diode pattern so I don't have to suggest getting a custom version. They will build to suit.
Older patterns were like this:

Custom pattern was this:

Ch 2 was moved from "moonlight" to "dawn/dusk"
Purchasers were quite happy w/ the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.