The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would beef up the lights. Full blast for more time and thats a lot of water for that light to penetrate and if I'm thinking about the right light. The LED diodes in that system are very small and will have a hard time giving the plants what they need. So Double up or find some bulbs and go hybrid light system like some reefers do. Don't be afraid to blast the tank with light. If you're worried about algae then save your pennies and buy a ton of plants. Load the tank up and scape the plants how you want. That way, you'll be heavily planted and algae won't be a huge issue anymore. Co2 is great but the plants can't convert anything if they light isn't intense enough. Strong Light alone will get plants pearling in Low tech systems. In my dirted tanks, hair grass hauls tail all over the place when the light is bright.
More Light.
More Plants.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The size of the diode isn't really the issue, it's the spread of light. Jeffkrol has forgot more about lighting then I know. If I was getting advice from him on lighting I would pay attention, follow it closely and ask questions if something didn't seem right. If someone else gave advice that differed I'd lean toward Jeffkrol.
The size of the diode 100% makes a difference. Especially in this deep of a tank. Small Diode's simply don't push enough light and even if you they had enough "spread" they're still not enough. Look at the Reef systems. They're running lights with much larger diodes to address exactly the issue we're talking about. Ever noticed how some high end LEDs are one huge hot diode? OP says he's not even seeing Algae growth and he's running co2? It's obviously a lack of light.

Sounds good. Thanks. You think buying another current USA light, the fluval 3.0 or something else may help? Or do you think I will entirely need a new light with larger diodes?
That's really up to you. I would just find something bigger and brighter. If you're seeing algae growth and you run co2 with a low plant load. Your light is lacking. Simple as.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.