The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have had success when growing plants in the past but not so much lately. I set up this 125 gallon Discus tank about a year ago and have been having a difficult time getting my plants to really take off. Here is how I have it set up:

Substrate: black diamond blasting sand with 80 flourish tabs inserted.
Lighting: current USA satellite plus pro on for 8 hours per day
CO2 injection regulated by the Milwaukee pH controller set at 6.6
I use the EI dosing method straight into my sump filter.

I get very minimal algae growth on the leaves and the glass and the sump I built is pretty efficient so I do not check my water quality. But maybe I should? The tank is not overstocked (4 adult discus, 2 electric blue cara, 2 gold German rams, 28 serpae tetras, and a few bottom feeders). The plants I ha e are: dwarf hair grass, anubias, amazon swords, ludwigia repens, and a tiger lotus. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Dan

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Hello all,
I have had success when growing plants in the past but not so much lately. I set up this 125 gallon Discus tank about a year ago and have been having a difficult time getting my plants to really take off. Here is how I have it set up:

Substrate: black diamond blasting sand with 80 flourish tabs inserted.
Lighting: current USA satellite plus pro on for 8 hours per day
CO2 injection regulated by the Milwaukee pH controller set at 6.6
I use the EI dosing method straight into my sump filter.

I get very minimal algae growth on the leaves and the glass and the sump I built is pretty efficient so I do not check my water quality. But maybe I should? The tank is not overstocked (4 adult discus, 2 electric blue cara, 2 gold German rams, 28 serpae tetras, and a few bottom feeders). The plants I ha e are: dwarf hair grass, anubias, amazon swords, ludwigia repens, and a tiger lotus. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Dan
What are your tank dimensions and which light size?
Think you need to up your lighting..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The tank is 60" wide x 18" deep x 25" tall. I have their 48" light. I am going to play with the setting a little bit and see if I can get a better color spectrum for plants.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The tank is 60" wide x 18" deep x 25" tall. I have their 48" light. I am going to play with the setting a little bit and see if I can get a better color spectrum for plants.
Spectrum won't matter much and Currents RGB is pretty weak anyways.
You have at the most 65W of LEDs over 120 gallon tank.
Ends of the tank get little light and spread drops off fast past dead center.
also left to right
W/ CO2 injection you can do w/ more lighting.
Start w/ 100% on whites at least.
Extend photoperiod.

"Technically" you should be fine in the very center .

Can't say for sure it is the lighting but the setup makes me err uncomfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I see. I just set the light to come on for 9 hours per day now and I will probably adjust th scape a bit to have more plants in the middle. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would beef up the lights. Full blast for more time and thats a lot of water for that light to penetrate and if I'm thinking about the right light. The LED diodes in that system are very small and will have a hard time giving the plants what they need. So Double up or find some bulbs and go hybrid light system like some reefers do. Don't be afraid to blast the tank with light. If you're worried about algae then save your pennies and buy a ton of plants. Load the tank up and scape the plants how you want. That way, you'll be heavily planted and algae won't be a huge issue anymore. Co2 is great but the plants can't convert anything if they light isn't intense enough. Strong Light alone will get plants pearling in Low tech systems. In my dirted tanks, hair grass hauls tail all over the place when the light is bright.
More Light.
More Plants.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. Thanks. You think buying another current USA light, the fluval 3.0 or something else may help? Or do you think I will entirely need a new light with larger diodes?

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
The size of the diode isn't really the issue, it's the spread of light. Jeffkrol has forgot more about lighting then I know. If I was getting advice from him on lighting I would pay attention, follow it closely and ask questions if something didn't seem right. If someone else gave advice that differed I'd lean toward Jeffkrol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The size of the diode isn't really the issue, it's the spread of light. Jeffkrol has forgot more about lighting then I know. If I was getting advice from him on lighting I would pay attention, follow it closely and ask questions if something didn't seem right. If someone else gave advice that differed I'd lean toward Jeffkrol.
The size of the diode 100% makes a difference. Especially in this deep of a tank. Small Diode's simply don't push enough light and even if you they had enough "spread" they're still not enough. Look at the Reef systems. They're running lights with much larger diodes to address exactly the issue we're talking about. Ever noticed how some high end LEDs are one huge hot diode? OP says he's not even seeing Algae growth and he's running co2? It's obviously a lack of light.

Sounds good. Thanks. You think buying another current USA light, the fluval 3.0 or something else may help? Or do you think I will entirely need a new light with larger diodes?
That's really up to you. I would just find something bigger and brighter. If you're seeing algae growth and you run co2 with a low plant load. Your light is lacking. Simple as.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spectrum won't matter much and Currents RGB is pretty weak anyways.
You have at the most 65W of LEDs over 120 gallon tank.
Ends of the tank get little light and spread drops off fast past dead center.
also left to right
W/ CO2 injection you can do w/ more lighting.
Start w/ 100% on whites at least.
Extend photoperiod.

"Technically" you should be fine in the very center .

Can't say for sure it is the lighting but the setup makes me err uncomfortable.

Jeff,
Is there a light you would recommend for deeper planted tanks like this?

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Yes, the size of the diode makes a difference. I just think it would be better to look at optics. I think most of the lights with optics are going to have larger leds but that's not the point. With a 2' deep tank I want lenses. Leds have a huge spread. If I was going the route of a new light, I'd look for something with lenses to focus the intensity of the light towards the bottom. My main criteria for plant health would be the par and the angle of emission.

Your blue fish are beautiful. Are they rams?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your blue fish are beautiful. Are they rams?
Thanks kubla!
They are blue acara. They are a pretty tame small/medium cichlid. I've had no problems with them bothering any of the discus or the smaller tetras that I have. Are there any good lights you'd recommend with lenses for deeper light penetration?

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Jeff,
Is there a light you would recommend for deeper planted tanks like this?
Sort of:

STILL have rhe 60" issue but hanging them high will get you the needed spread.
You have PAR to spare.

That light uses mixed optics.
Some at 90, some at 120 degrees.

Popbloom is a sort of China direct that has some decent models.
The buying/warranty stuff is not for everyone.

An ancillary light to fill in some of the dead spots.
https://www.amazon.com/KZKR-Upgraded-Aquarium-Spectrum-Freshwater/dp/B07H79GVBL
Will get to that in a minute.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts