The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a rimmed 125 gallon aquarium. I want to use lights I can attach to the rims of the tank. I am not trying to break the bank on the lights. Any suggestions on the lights and how many do suggest on a 125?

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
I currently have a rimmed 125 gallon aquarium. I want to use lights I can attach to the rims of the tank. I am not trying to break the bank on the lights. Any suggestions on the lights and how many do suggest on a 125?
First thing to watch for is a lot of clips don't fit rimmed tanks.
Are you set on clip type lights?

Next, what are the tank dimensions approx?
I'll assume this for now:
72 1/218 1/223 3/8

Example of different bracket types.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Cheapest option that is medium to high light. Cheapest low light to maybe medium light option. If you mean single point light source instead then multiple Asta 120 is your cheapest option, but it won't fit a rimmed tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes those are the dimensions of the tank , I cant hang nothing from the ceiling in my apartment , so unless you no another way than cilips as an option because there are no lids on the tank

72 1/218 1/223 3/8

·
Registered
251 Posts
There's threads in here for making or buying risers for some led light bars. i have home made ones on my 75 gallon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

72 1/218 1/223 3/8

Cheapest option that is medium to high light. Cheapest low light to maybe medium light option. If you mean single point light source instead then multiple Asta 120 is your cheapest option, but it won't fit a rimmed tank.
how many for a 125 though

·
Registered
611 Posts
Have you considered submersible LEDs tied to the rims inside the tank. I use a combination of strip and submersible LEDs in my rimmed 125g to squeeze enough light in tight space. Ebay sells many submersible LEDs made in China, not as intense as strip lights, but because there is no transmission loss, it’s good augmentation to over top light.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does your 125 have 2 top braces or 1? What's your spending limit?
It has two braces and around 200 maybe a little bit more I have driftwood coming out of the water thats why i want to go this route as i cant put lids on the tank

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
yes those are the dimensions of the tank , I cant hang nothing from the ceiling in my apartment , so unless you no another way than cilips as an option because there are no lids on the tank
3 AI prime freshwaters plus mounts will run $750-ish
It's THE only canned solution I can find atm.
Even those may not meet the height requirement w/ the wood.

Some mount brackets from the wall if suspending doesn't cut it..

Simple DIY brackets
Easy to Build Tank or Table Mount for LED Fixtures

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3 AI prime freshwaters plus mounts will run $750-ish
It's THE only canned solution I can find atm.
Even those may not meet the height requirement w/ the wood.

Some mount brackets from the wall if suspending doesn't cut it..

Simple DIY brackets
Easy to Build Tank or Table Mount for LED Fixtures
I have two ai freshwater, each one is on a 40 gallon breeder so those would be high enough for the wood but thats real expensive

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'd mount brackets to the wall as suggested, or build a DIY rack/shelf attached to the stand and mount the light(s) to that.

Something like this:

Or even this:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going to go with the diy rack and mount to the stand but what type of lights should i use for a 125 ? A shop light?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am going to go with the diy rack and mount to the stand but what type of lights should i use for a 125 ? A shop light?
Personally I'd go for the three Asta 120 single point lights minorhero suiggested. Or two 36" Beamswork/Nicrew units depending on your needs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts