The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Starting what I hope is my first real planted tank/aquascape. Likely went over the top on the tank size but I've always wanted to have a much larger tank and I got a killer deal on it, hopefully I can have my cake and eat it too. I built this stand over a period of two weeks in my spare time, just finished painting it and the doors are drying in the shop. Hope to pick a few brains on the co2 process on here and get some feedback on the build. Cheers!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'm pumped about it. Just ordered the glass for the 40 long sump baffles. I have about 70lbs of seiryu stones and some fluorite dark on hand, trying to hash out a design on a large board before I start in the tank. Hope to have some updates coming by next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the tank is just a Marineland 125 with dual corner overflows. They had a sale a few weeks ago, 20 % off all tanks. I do plan on covering the sump to keep the noise but my plan is to tee the co2 reactor into the return line for the sump pump, have a check valve on the reactor. Never gone this hi-tech on a tank before though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Progress is slow going at the moment. Doors look a bit sloppy to me and I still haven't painted the back of them, likely remake them at some point. I did finally finish the sump baffles and am currently waiting for them to fully cure. Hope to get all the herbie plumbing done with this weekend!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Almost done building the wall mount for the radion xr15 freshwater lights. M5 metric socket bolts fit perfectly in the mounts on the lights, four 40mm m5 bolts will let the light hang from these three boards. Behind the whole mount there's 3/4" space and a low voltage box to run the wires below the tank without being seen.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Yeah just testing fit at the moment. The stand and light mount will have kilz primer base and exterior grade paint on them.

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Looking good. Are those Kregs pocket holes I see there? I built my whole stand with pocket holes and glue.

Are you going to have a top on this tank? Just wondering, as Rainbows are jumpers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Indeed they are! I built my stand the same way, then I got extra fancy and filled them in with wood putty and sanded them down before paint. I was thinking of a screen or cutting acrylic sheets for the top, mostly to keep the kids toys from going in the tank, they're always launching something around here. Good to know about rainbows being jumpers, never heard that before.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well progress is slow with my monkey children hanging on my back. Waiting for a new gate valve in the mail today so I decided to work on the lights and get some rock in the tank. Still don't have a clear vision for my scape yet but having fun with it. Love these radion lights! Thunderstorms and cloud cover are fun to play with, and I've already programmed a few day and night schedules, anxious to watch them play out. I hope they are strong enough for plants.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do you have the power cords in the wall?

Yes. I cut a square hole behind the light mount and put a low voltage old work box in it. Then cut a hole in the back of the stand into the wall directly below it. Then I tied some butchers twine to a heavy washer and dropped it down the hole and pulled it through the bottom. Tied the 6' of cords (3 of them total) to the string and pulled it through. I'll take a picture of the set up after I get the co2 all set up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nice job on the stand and lights! I may have missed it but what plants are you planning? Rainbows are going to be beautiful in there. Mixing males and females or just males?

Thanks! It's a labor of love.
I just ordered a few things to play around with. Only have had low tech tanks before with an anubias nana and Java ferns. I'm going to transfer those to this tank and try a few more plants like flame moss, monte carlo, micro sword and bacopa. Probably too much for me to start but it is a huge tank. Hopefully I don't kill them all while I learn to use the regulator and pH controller. Haha. As far as males and females I'm not sure yet. My Cory cats and platy fish breed like crazy now, my wife refers to our 20 gallon as the "aquatic orgy". I suppose it would be better to breed my own rainbows if possible since they're so dang expensive here!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.