The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my 125 I had a 2x80 watt T5HO ...I thought that was not enough light. So I purchased a 4X80 T5 whew...pretty bright.
I am trying to think of a way to tone it down just a tad.
Like maybe a way to limit the input voltage???
A rheostat maybe.....
Any idea's would be appreciated....

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Do you want to dim the light because of algae? Poor plant response in some way? In general, T5HO can't be dimmed. However, there are ways to fine tune.

Do you have one or two switches? Some of the 4 bulb units allow you to run two or four bulbs at once.

I have a pair of two bulb fixtures. To fine tune lighting I have two bulbs come on first, then all of the bulbs together, then two bulbs again. In addition I even have some low wattage LED's just for viewing in the evening and early morning. The only time all the T5HO bulbs are on is during the middle of the day.

It's not because the bulbs are too bright, but just to fine tune/control the amount of light my plants need and are getting.

You could also raise the light, so it is further away. And in a more drastic move, remove some or all of the reflectors. Really depends how much co2 you are dosing and the ferts you are supplying. If you are injecting at something like 30ppm co2 and dosing EI, you need a pretty good deal of light.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok yea I am getting old ...lol
My light has a built in timer I can control each set of lights....
So I can have peak lighting during the day.
I dont have a hood on my tank...with all 4 bulbs on its too much light in my living room.
Thanks a bunch....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well not what I had hoped for.....
The timer has 2 t5 settings left and right .....I was hoping for front to back.
So there is a ATI T5 light that marine depot sells, in the description it states light is dimmable....
So what are they using to dimm the light?????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.