The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 I got second hand. Plan to build a hood for it. Kind of a simple design with 8 t8 32w 6500 tubes staggered over 14" and a hinge to swing 1/2 of them up for service. My question is should I overdrive all of the bulbs, half of the bulbs or none of the bulbs?

Just to aquaint folks with where I am in the hobby, I am already running a 75 with 220cf and 64t8 watts over it and water condition is now my limiting factor. I can grow anything in that tank once it's tuned out. I would like to have a similar lighting level on the new tank so how about some opinions.

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
For larger tanks like your 125, I recommend looking into T5 HO bulbs. They are brighter than T8s, and with less bulbs and wattage you can get more light into the tank, all the way down to the bottom.

Instead of 8x T8, consider 4x T5. Quality reflectors, a decent ballast, and you've got some quality lighting.

If you are set on T8, I would definitely overdrive them. NO T8 bulbs are very energy efficient, and dim...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.