The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank has been up since September....pulled out a bunch of blyxa on the right side and am waiting for some plants to come in/current ones to fill out.

Light: 48" Tek-4x54W
Tank: 120P
Filter: Eheim 2028
CO2: 10lb Aluminum with Azoo regulator via mazzei

Any comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would suggest maybe upping the light a bit? It looks sort of dark in the front, and if you're trying to carpet with what appears to be glosso or something similar, it might start to grow leggy, and up vertically 'reaching' towards the light. If you want it to grow horizontally, then I would suggest upping the light. If you are wanting to keep it lit at that level, then maybe try and use a marsilea species, such as M. hirsutata (spelling?), or M. quadrifolia.
Also, that moss on the driftwood is looking awesome, but be careful of underlying die-off. I find if you don't trim the moss back now and then, the moss underneath it dies, similar in fashion to riccia. I'd do a good trim on that moss and sell the the clippings and buy some more plants, or spread the clippings out more and cover up more wood.
Either way, it's looking more than awesome.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest maybe upping the light a bit? It looks sort of dark in the front, and if you're trying to carpet with what appears to be glosso or something similar, it might start to grow leggy, and up vertically 'reaching' towards the light. If you want it to grow horizontally, then I would suggest upping the light. If you are wanting to keep it lit at that level, then maybe try and use a marsilea species, such as M. hirsutata (spelling?), or M. quadrifolia.
Also, that moss on the driftwood is looking awesome, but be careful of underlying die-off. I find if you don't trim the moss back now and then, the moss underneath it dies, similar in fashion to riccia. I'd do a good trim on that moss and sell the the clippings and buy some more plants, or spread the clippings out more and cover up more wood.
Either way, it's looking more than awesome.
The picture was taken with only the two middle banks of lights on. Right now i have a spirogyra outbreak, so i reduced the lighting a bit. The moss gets trimmed every 2 weeks too. Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I would suggest maybe upping the light a bit?
The picture was taken with only the two middle banks of lights on. Right now i have a spirogyra outbreak, so i reduced the lighting a bit. The moss gets trimmed every 2 weeks too. Thanks for your comments

Yeah, I was gonna say, 4x54w Tek T5HO is PLENTY of light for a 120-P.

Great looking tank. I like what you are doing with it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice tank, I too have started seeing some spirogyra algae. I am going to reduce my photoperiod and remove as much as I can. Also, spot treat it with peroxide or excel.
Let me know how yours goes...ive been spot treating with excel as well as lowering photoperiod. Cherries and amanos dont look to be helping too much (if at all)--maybes SAEs are eating it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
From reading, I think the best way is to remove as much as you can, increase CO2, cut the light, and do water changes. I think removing as much as you can is key and catching it early.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are a few updated pictures

12-11-09

2-8-10

Things are looking better after plants have grown in. The rotala macandra green on the right was trimmed and is growing back as is the rotala rotundifolia to the left. Rotala green is getting more bushy now that i have removed the immersed glosso which was blocking alot of the light. The UG is spreading in the middle now. Erio type 2 from the december meet has been split. Dwarf hairgrass is spreading like a green plague.

The color bulbs I am running are 10000, 6700, and 2 pink color ones.

Any plant ideas for low light that would do well under the moss branch?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some updated pictures:

Ive been getting some BGA on the glass next to the UG. Did some excel and h202 which i think semi melted the UG. After a couple days either my flagfish or nerites has a nice meal.

You can see on the left and front middle where the UG was eaten.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Love the tank man, the huge pictures really allows the viewer to fully appreciate it. This tank would be awesome if the right side was covered with ug as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.